How To Run Track | Teen Ink

How To Run Track

By 4sarozek BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4sarozek BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

An 18 year old high school runner, daughter of professional runners, along with her older brother and sister who are D1 athletes from Arrowhead High School will be giving us a routine on how she gets her life together before a race and to be prepared for it. 

Seeing her dad coaching her and I always thought what It would be like to have someone who's so good at running to actually keep up with her? Could I do it? Is it possible? I asked myself a billion times before that race came to the starting point. 

(Me explaining how to run track) BOOM! Just like that, it's the crack of dawn and today's date is January 16, 2020. The alarm clock buzzing and making so many noises I didn’t want to get up and of course being a 14 year old telling me I knew that I had a big race coming in seven days so what did I do? I start preparing! 

The moment I hear the word training I get so happy! Training for a run is fun, exhilarating–and if you’re a newcomer, potentially daunting. It may be a race, but training is recommended, above all, taking it slow. Libby from freshman year to her senior year was one of the top distance runners for their school. My sister (Sydney) and I ran together during high school for three years, “she was my biggest push in track,” Libby said.” After Sydney left for college, her intrusive thoughts started to doubt her. “Sydney would always take my negative talk away from me” said Libby. Ray, a senior and a D1 athlete, committed to Winona State University, is more thriving in track & field and Cross Country than she ever has been. 

Starting off the day with a healthy breakfast with toast and avocados. Ideas I learned was to not eat a big meal before a run, and limiting yourself to intake light, easily digestible carbohydrates. Protein was the main acceptance for me. It stuck to my bones and never got hungry during my races. 

Lunch came around the corner and my dad and I decided to make some grilled cheese with ham, cheese and tomato soup, which combined with lots of carbs and not too much processed food. 

My name is Courtney Sarozek. I run with Libby during the high school season in March. She is a fantastic runner and such an inspiration to watch and to be able to run with her is an amazing feeling. Libby and her friend Anne, always would push me during practice because I want to be them, I want to be a leader and to have that feeling of being amazing at running which cannot be easy to do. Running is a hard sport to do, especially if its distance. Not many people run track for distance but for mainly sprints.