Shadows

I stare at the shadows that play on the sidewalk, walking ahead of me. I watch the shadows, constantly attached to us. They have no free will. Like prisoners of war.

I see the trees swaying in the breeze, and I watch their shadows sway with them. They have to sway, for they have to do everything there true counterpart does. How much do we subject our souls to?

I stare at my face in the mirror, and look down the line of mirrors in this dirty public bathroom. I look at every face. Some are fixing their hair. Some are putting on make-up. How many times do we change ourselves before we lose who we really are?

I walk down the street and I see a pregnant woman sitting on the curb. The gentle arch of her stomach. I realize there is another life in there. And then I watch her pull out a cigarette. Light it. Flames. How many times do we hurt the ones we love?

I lay on my couch and stare at my children playing on my sidewalk. I watch their shadows play too. I want them to have a better life. But I cant change the world.

Zero_Kiryu This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, this is deep. And so true. Bravo, this is art. ZERO <(o.0)>