(1) New Email | Teen Ink

(1) New Email

By ItsYoltzin BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
ItsYoltzin BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

In a small yet cozy townhome nestled amidst the suburbs of New York City, Lily, a vivacious and kindhearted woman starting off college, sat at her computer one  evening. She had just finished a long day, studying and preparing for upcoming tests and the glow from her computer screen was the only source of light in her small, modest room.

As she clicked through her overflowing inbox, one email caught her eye. The subject line read, "Urgent Help Needed: A Prince's Humble Plea."

With a sigh Lily opened the email, expecting yet another scam. The message began with a grand introduction: "I am Ainsley Macbeth from a small forgotten kingdom in Scotland. I find myself in dire straits, unable to return to my homeland and humbly request your assistance. My royal treasury has been seized, and I require a sum of $10,000 to secure my passage back home. I am not asking for the full sum of money, only a small amount would be of great help to me. In return for your generosity, I promise to repay you tenfold once I regain my throne."

Lily shook her head not believing what she'd just read. This was the most absurd email she had ever received, undoubtedly a scam.

"Next time use a less pretentious name." She mumbled under her breath

Yet, as she continued to read, something tugged at her heartstrings. She knew this was the intended purpose of the email, to make some poor fool feel sorry and then rob them of their money, but the 'prince's' words, though implausible, carried a hint of desperation. Lily sighed and thought,

"It's probably some person looking for easy money. I can't believe I'm even considering this."

With a mix of pity and disbelief, Lily dragged the cursor back to the top and replied,

"I can't offer much, but I'm willing to send you $100. It's all I can afford right now."

She closed her computer feeling foolish and decided to forget about the whole ordeal before she regret her actions.

----------------------------------------------------

Days turned into weeks, and Lily forgot about her peculiar correspondence with the so-called Prince Ainsley. Life went on, and she continued her routine, never expecting to hear from him again.

Five years later, on a crisp autumn afternoon, Lily was at home, bent over a table littered with  bills, receipts and other official papers, when a knock at the door startled her. She checked her phone expecting to see a text from one of her friends or family members, announcing their arrival but her lock screen was empty from any notifications. Lily got up from the table and slowly opened the door to find a tall, regal-looking man standing before her, dressed in attire that seemed right out of a period film.

As Prince Ainsley stood before Lily, he could see the disbelief in her eyes slowly giving way to caution. He had rehearsed this moment countless times in his mind over the past five years, and now that it was here, he was filled with both excitement and anxiety.

"Good day, Miss Lily," he said with a polite nod. "I am Prince Ainsley, and I have come to fulfill a promise I made to you five years ago."

Lily's eyes widened in disbelief. "You... you can't be serious. Are you really a prince?"

"I understand if you're skeptical, Lily," he said, his voice soft and earnest. "But I promise you, I am Prince Ainsley, and I'm here to repay the kindness you showed me when I was at my lowest."

Lily's mind raced as se invited him inside. They sat in her small living room, and Prince Ainsley began to recount the incredible journey that had brought him to this moment. He spoke of the political turmoil in his kingdom, the help he received from loyal allies, and how he had finally, with the help of the people who listened to his plea, reclaimed his throne.

As he spoke, Lily couldn't help but be drawn into his story. The sincerity in his eyes and the passion in his voice made her want to believe him. She had always been a person who followed her instincts, and something about this man felt genuine.

After he finished his story, Lily looked at him and said, "I don't know if you're really a prince or if this is some elaborate scheme, but I've come to trust my intuition. I'll take a chance on you, Prince."

Prince Ainsley's face lit up with gratitude. "Thank you, Lily. You won't regret it."

Over the next few months, Prince Ainsley proved himself to be a man of his word. He helped Lily in ways she could have never imagined, not just financially, but emotionally as well. They grew close, sharing their dreams, plans for the future, fears, and aspirations and what had started as a seemingly improbable encounter turned into a deep and genuine bond that would turn them from strangers into inseparable life companions.

This is a story based off one of the writing prompts published by writingprompt.s (I think that's the acc name?) but tried to make the finished work my own instead of a copy-paste.

I decided to turn it into a short story since I couldn't really see it becoming an entire book so you might only be looking at a few pages.

I hope you enjoy! (feedback is always welcome!)