Killing Jane | Teen Ink

Killing Jane

By twilightlvr BRONZE, Palinview, New York
twilightlvr BRONZE, Palinview, New York

'life's a pitch"

It was a cold stormy night as Alice saw her best friend get killed. The rain was coming down hard and Alice was trying to contain her scream of help so that she would alarm the murderer. Finally she couldn’t take it anymore and screamed, “Jane”! The murderer turned toward her and Alice, realizing what happened, started running. The murderer was hot on her trail. She ran onto the road, and saw headlights coming closer.

“Alice, Mrs. Calhoun said, can you hear me?”

“Mom?” Alice asked. “Mom, where am I? What’s going on?”

“You’re in the hospital,” Mrs. Calhoun answered. “You got hit by a car. The guy who hit you brought you here. They called me, I-I was so worried. You wouldn’t wake up. You were asleep for several days.”

“Mom, did Jane come?” Alice asked. “Did she come to see me?”

“Oh, honey, I’m so sorry,” Mrs. Calhoun said through tears. “The police found her dead in the middle of the forest. They say that she was murdered.”

“Wha-what are you saying?” Alice asked. Then she remembered what happened.

“I’m sorry ma’am, but she needs some rest,” the nurse said. You’re going to have to leave.

“Ok,” Mrs. Calhoun said to the nurse. “I’ll come see you tomorrow,” Mrs. Calhoun said to Alice.

“See you tomorrow, Mom,” Alice said. After her mom left, Alice tried to go to sleep, but Jane’s murder is all she could think about. Alice had made plans to go to the mall with Jane, but Jane cancelled at the last minute.

“Is everything?” Alice asked.

“Yes, I just don’t want to go to the mall,” Jane answered coldly. Then she left. Alice got worried and decided to follow Jane. Alice saw Jane get into the passenger seat of a green BMW.
Alice got into her car and followed the BMW. They drove to a forest and stopped the car. Alice stopped her car a few yards behind. Jane and the driver got out of the car. Alice couldn’t see the driver’s face. But she could tell that the driver was a man. He was about six feet, broad shoulders, and he looked very strong. They went deeper into the forest and Alice followed, far behind. Then they stopped and Alice hid behind a tree. They started talking.

“Do you have my money?” the man asked.

“I-I couldn’t get it, Jane said, I tried but –”

“I don’t want to hear any excuses,” the man said. “I gave you the money as your payment for selling the stuff, but you didn’t sell it. So, now I need back my money.

“I’ll try to get,” Jane said. “Just give me some time, please,” she begged.

“I gave you enough time and how do I know that you won’t go and tell the police?” he asked.

“I promise I won’t,” Jane said.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t trust you,” the man said.

“Wha-what are you going to do?” she asked.

“I think you know,” he replied. Then he grabbed her arm and took out a knife. Alice took out her phone to try and get help but there was no service.

Oh, God, please, Alice begged silently. Then she heard a scream. The man had stabbed Jane. Then he stabbed her again just to make sure she was dead. Alice screamed, then the man came after, she ran and then got hit by a car which landed her in the hospital.

Alice cried herself to sleep, wishing that this was all just a nightmare. Alice’s mom came the next day and took her home.

“Honey, I’m sorry to leave you now, but I have to go to work,” Mrs. Calhoun said.

“It’s okay Mom, I understand,” Alice told her. When her mom left Alice went to her bed to sleep. A few minutes later she heard a bang. Alice woke up, alarmed. She heard another bang, Alice grabbed the home phone and hid in her closet. She tried to dial 911, but the line went out. Alice heard footsteps in her room. She rocked herself back and forth, telling herself everything will be okay. Then the door opened and Alice saw that it was the same guy who killed Jane.

Alice gasped. He grabbed her by the hair and pulled her up. “What do you want with me?” Alice asked him.

“You know too much,” he said. “You saw me kill you’re poor friend.”

“How do you know that it was me?” Alice asked him.

“Jane showed me a picture of you and told me all about you. I even picked her uo from you’re house one day,” he said.

“Why did you kill Jane?” she asked.

“She did business for me and she messed up,” he answered.

“What kind of business?” Alice asked him.

He laughed and said, “Drugs, she sold drugs for me.”

“No she didn’t,” Alice said shaking her head. “She would never sell drugs. I know her and I know that she would never do that. She tells me everything, we’re best friends!

“Well. It looks like to me that she didn’t tell you everything, he said, and anyway she wouldn’t have told you because I told her that if she told anyone, then I would kill her.”

“Yet, you still killed her,” she told him.

“Yeah, and I enjoyed it. I will also enjoy killing you,” he said. He took out his knife and was about to stab Alice, but then she kicked him. He let go of her and ran. He ran following her. Alice ran to the kitchen and just before he came she grabbed a knife and hid it behind her back. He laughed again.

“You thought you could outrun me, he said, but it looks like you’re out of luck. He came closer to her and grabbed her hair. “Looks like you’re going to be dead,” he said. He held the knife back and was about to stab her when she stabbed him instead. HE dropped the knife and took a step back. Then he looked at his stab wound.

“Looks like you’re dead, actually,” she said. Alice called the police and they arrived a few minutes later.

“Are you okay?” the officer asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Alice said.

“Oh, honey,” Mrs. Calhoun said. She hugged Alice.

“It’s okay Mom, I’m fine,” Alice told her,

“Excuse me miss, the officer said to Alice, but do you know who this man is?”

“He killed Jane Reed,” Alice told him.

“He’s also a big drug dealer, the officer said, we have been looking for him for a long time. Thank You.”

“I’m glad I could help,” Alice said.

“I just need you to come with me down to the station so that we can get you’re statement,” the officer said to her.

“Ok,” Alice told him.