Going Insane Through Writing | Teen Ink

Going Insane Through Writing

June 4, 2009
By mjwied92 SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan
mjwied92 SILVER, Kalamazoo, Michigan
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I sit down with the paper in front of me. I see the white shade laying there. I write my first line, “Once upon a time...” it’s a very cheesy first line. Its been used over and over throughout history, but I believe I can make something of it.

Give it another meaning.

Make it appeal to the readers of todays society.

As I see the ink spill onto the page, I get more into my character. I can feel myself in his shoes.

I run through the forests of Alderan, fighting of Gliboglobber’s and Schnokintopper’s.

I ally myself with the Zomper’s.

I stop.

I look around. Paper. Pen. Coffee cup. Motrin.

No forests of Alderan. No Gliboglobber’s, Schnokintopper’s, or Zompers.

Where am I?

Oh yeah. I got so lost up in my fantasy world that I actually thought I was non-human.

I stop writing. I run my hand over the leather book as I close it. The leather has a touch like none other.

All this writing could take a man to insanity.

I look towards the clock. I see the second hand ticking away. Staring at it for only a few seconds I realize I was checking the time.

Both the minute and hour hand are on the 12.

It was of course 12 pm because I had started to write at 12 am.

No wonder my hand was throbbing. I had written through the second half of my day, and now it was over.

I get lost in this book.

It’s the first I’ve written. The first to start of my career.

I think to keep writing but my hand still throbs with intense pain.

I pop the top off the Motrin and pour two of the orange pills into my hand. The I throw the pills to the back of my mouth. I swig down some coffee. Its gone cold. I feel the liquid stream down my throat.

I get up and out of the chair and walk down the hall. I enter my bathroom and begin to brush my teeth.

Something laughs.

I recognize the sound.

A quick step out of the bathroom and a Schnokintopper runs by.

I rub my eyes. Its to late. The pain is in them.

My eyes open all to fast.

Nothing.

A good nights rest will get rid of these illusions I see.

I lay in my bed. I can feel the fluffed pillow underneath it.

My eyes are heavy.

They close.

I wake to a buzzing in my ears. It’s my alarm. I forgot to unset it after my year of graduating college with a majors degree in English. I’m unemployed. Nothing to do. No reason for an alarm. Why do I leave it set? I’m an author. Authors need sleep.

I’m an author. My book. My sleep must have rested it from my mind.

I hit the alarm and the buzzing ceases in my ears.

My eyes heave shut.

Darkness.

I wake. It’s already three in the afternoon. My eyes are no longer heavy.

I go to my desk.

The leather book still sits. I open it and continue to write.

Once again my mind is lost in this beautiful world.

I’m fighting a dragon with my sword. It breathes fire towards me, the heat is there. I dodge it. I take out a smoke bomb. It’s thrown to the ground. The smoke clouds my vision. Its mustiness cloud my nostrils.

I hear the dragon thumping towards me as the smoke clears. I cut its throat. I falls and dies.

I leave the dragons cave, cleaning its blood from my sword. Its put away. A screeching sound comes to my ears, then I'm hefted into the air by my shoulders.

I go to retrieve my sword, but I can’t. This cursid monster has somehow bound my arms to my chest. I struggle to get out of it, I can’t.

Its like a straight jacket.

As this creature continues to fly I see a kingdom come to view.

As it lowers me I can see a man who I know I will come to hate. He force feed me some sort of sedative.

I am thrown into a room of mushrooms. They are soft. It’s like padding.

I struggle to get out of this binding which the flying monster has put me in. It loosens. It comes undone, but it has gone from a soft green goo to a soft white cloth.

The mushrooms, they’ve gone from mushrooms to pillowish padding.

That was no gooey substance, it was a straight jacket.

That wasn't a flying monster, it was two men picking me up.

I have gone from a sane writer to an insane person.

I’m in an insane asylum!

No worry, my thoughts will comfort me.

I’m back in the lost forests of Alderan.