I Can't Stop Growing | Teen Ink

I Can't Stop Growing

By Meghan Walsh BRONZE, Katonah, New York
Meghan Walsh BRONZE, Katonah, New York

We never know what we really want, even when we think we have it.
I’ve always wanted to grow older…

School was almost over and I was almost 18, college was on the way. Everything was ready, I received my letter of acceptance to UConn and I'm settling into my dorm in less than a month. My mom decided that it was time to paint away the blue stripes on my wall. I had everything ready, my desk and chair were gone and my bed was no longer purple flowers. It was replaced with something more “guest friendly”: plain green sheets with matching pillowcases. The beige paint was mixed and readied. I picked up my brush and…

Finally the paint was up. It was official, my room was no longer going to be mine. Only every couple of weeks when I came up to visit. “The Guest Room” my mom was calling it. I guess I’m a guest in my house now. Suddenly, tears started pouring down my face.

“Stop Crying!” I told myself, still weeping. I just couldn’t stop the tears from coming from my eyes.
Why was I crying? I was happy. I thought I was.

As I reminisced I realized how much I loved my life here. The jokes, the memories, my parents, even my sisters. The lack of responsibility, being able to fall asleep at 4:30 in the afternoon and having my parents do my laundry for me. Living on the edge, and my parent’s money

That is over now.

As I picked up the paintbrush and continued once again, I realized I didn’t want to change.