REVIVAL VS DESOLATE | Teen Ink

REVIVAL VS DESOLATE

By SciFantJoe BRONZE, Bronx, New York
SciFantJoe BRONZE, Bronx, New York

When I woke up, my dad was no longer inside of the jeep. I got out the car looking around at my surroundings, and that when I saw it. I finally was able to lay my eyes on Forrest and Greene. It had an ornate facade with the gargoyles on each corner of the white marble roof, an elaborate entryway, and a humongous fountain in the center of the grass lawn. I saw a cobblestone path just a few inches away from my feet, so I decided to see where it led to. Along the path, I had spotted that the school must have thought all of their dead principals were like presidents, because I saw that there were different statues of previous principals. One said Isaac Dunne was Headmaster 1935-1948.
Okay, now I knew that they called their ‘principal’ headmaster. That would take some getting used to since I’ve always called mine principal. As I got to the end of the path, I saw two guys bothering this chubby kid about my age. I hated when people bullied someone and started walking towards them to stop what was going on. Then, I remembered that things were different because these kids had special powers and I didn’t know what mine were. One of them spotted me, and this boy had reddish orange hair, freckles on his face, a good charlotte shirt, and jeans. The other boy was taller, had dark brown hair, and a suit on minus the jacket that goes with it.
“You need something?” the freckled face boy asked.
“No, I don’t but I would like it if you stop bothering him.
The boy I was talking about looked at the two boys that were pushing him around, and then looked at me. After that, the boy dressed nicer than the other came about ten feet away from me and spoke.
“Listen, you must be new here. I’m Kent Yardley, quarterback of the Forrest and Greene Bulls. I am also the top dog in the social climate here got that. Now, when I do something to anybody, don’t look like you’re coming to help them. If you do, I’ll take care of you first. Now get lost.”
“No Kent, I don’t like it when you jocks think you can bully someone, just because you’re on a Football team. Do you understand that? So you and polka dot face here can just go to your dorms or wherever it is you just came from.”
I knew I had just made a mistake, because Kent had a look on his face that meant you were messing with the wrong person. He took his right hand, which had been in his pocket, and thrust it upward towards the empty ten feet of space. When he did that, I flew backward with increasing speed in the air and hit a tree that was behind me. My back was throbbing with immense pain. He then yelled,
“Next time you try something like that on me, your back will hurt much longer than it will today!”
After he yelled that, he and the boy with freckles walked away from the guy I was trying to help. When he saw that they were gone, I saw him disappear from the spot he was at, and reappear next to me.
“Aah! You nearly scared me to death”, I said when he reappeared next to me. “By the way, my name is Terrence, but you can call me TJ if you want to.”
“Okay, I’ll call you TJ then. My name is Davis Coops, but everyone I know calls me Dave. Um, thanks for standing up for me. Nobody does that here.”
“No problem, I hate when people do things like that bonehead.”
“Can I ask you something?”
“Sure, what is it?”
“Well, I was wondering why you would stand up to Kent if you weren’t going to use your powers to defend yourself?”
I didn’t know how to answer the question, because I hadn’t gotten my powers yet. Another thing was that I didn’t want to seem like I was pathetic because I didn’t have my powers.
“I don’t know, guess I wasn’t thinking right.”
I could tell from the look on Dave’s face that he didn’t believe what I said.
“Are you sure that that’s the reason you didn’t use your powers?”
“Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s the reason.”
“Okay, but if the reason is because you don’t have powers yet, then I won’t have a problem with it. When I started here as a freshman, I didn’t have my power yet. Then one day out of nowhere in gym class, I was playing dodge ball. I kept trying to dodge the ball, but I couldn’t move fast enough. When there was one round left in the game I dodged this ball that was coming toward me, but when I did it I disappeared into thin air. Then, I reappeared on the other side of the court.”
Since he had told me his story about not having abilities and then getting them out of nowhere, I decided to tell him a little story of my own.
“Okay, I don’t have abilities. My father said I’ll get them here, and that I’ll be better off going to school here than a regular school. He didn’t even ask me if I wanted to go here, and it’s all because of a man named Hans, or maybe not. He told me about coming here yesterday, so maybe he had already planned on sending me here months in advance.”
“Maybe he did, and that name Hans sounds familiar to me. Was the man wearing a black trench coat and penny loafers?”
“Yeah, he was.” I was surprised he knew who I was talking about.
“I know him, him and my dad work for this organization called REVIVAL.”
“You know about REVIVAL too?”
“Sure do, every super human teen knows. However, if you’ve grown up not knowing what you are, then I maybe you wouldn’t know about REVIVAL or DESOLATE. Hey, are you a sophomore?”
“Yeah, I’m a sophomore.”
“Did you get your schedule and room information?”
“No, I haven’t got it yet. I guess my father will get it for me, since I had waked up in the car and neither he nor my suitcase was in it.”
“Okay, well I’ll see you at lunch tomorrow or maybe before that. You know, depending on your schedule. See you around TJ.”
“See you Dave.” Dave had begun walking on the path in the opposite direction to get back to the school campus.

on Jul. 3 2009 at 2:31 pm
SciFantJoe BRONZE, Bronx, New York
please, if you read and rate, comment on it. I love constructive criticsm.