August Contest: WE COVET THE VALIDATION OF LIGHT (BECAUSE IN INCEPTION AND DEATH WE ARE SHADOW) | Teen Ink

August Contest: WE COVET THE VALIDATION OF LIGHT (BECAUSE IN INCEPTION AND DEATH WE ARE SHADOW)

By sneaky_choild BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
sneaky_choild BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

For eight minutes, our blind professor taught in the dark until someone alerted him. In sheepish realization, he apologized and flicked on the light switch, which nobody had touched out of fear or courtesy or both. Somehow, we were perversely drawn to dark, to drowsy states of mind where rooms have no foreground, where the air is liquor clinging to our napes, where we are allowed to forget we have bodies. As he spoke of electromagnetic radiation, of wavelengths we’d never experience, we slept through class, preferring to ripen the lie that–with light–we could see all there was to the world. 

Kirsten Liang is fourteen years old but wishes she were seventeen so she could watch R-rated films. Her work has placed in many competitions for students: on an international level in the 2021 National Flash Fiction Day Competition hosted by fingerscommatoes, on a national level at the 2021 and 2022 Scholastic Writing Awards, and on a state level at the 2022 National History Day Competition. She is in love with too many celebrities.

This work is intended for the August 2022 flash fiction contest.