The Panda | Teen Ink

The Panda

By Claire Bonesteel BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey
Claire Bonesteel BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey

The small black and white creature lumbered across the forest. I did my best to stay completely still. He was beautiful...or she. I had never come so close to one before. We had to protect it! I realized that the Poachers would come and shoot him. I started walking towards him.

When I approached him, he gave me a look that seemed to say,"Where have you been?". I stifled a burst of laughter. I had never had so much family, and he seemed to love me as no one else had before. What would I do with him? My apartment doesn't allow pets, let alone a panda! So I took him further out into the bamboo woods.

As I was walking, I noticed that he started to lead. He took me to a large clearing where there was a small pond. He started to lap the water when two other pandas came out of the woods. What was I going to do with them? I decided to leave them there until I could figure out what to do.

I was thinking and thinking and I finally figured out what to do. I typed and I printed. The result was 500 signs bordering the bamboo forest. They read: "Poaching is illegal"