IM Sad | Teen Ink

IM Sad

By greeny7 PLATINUM, Chatham, Other
greeny7 PLATINUM, Chatham, Other

YellowNote: No one likes you and your friends. You’re all nerds.
Girly764: Who is this?
YellowNote: Someone you think is your friend. Maybe if you lose weight, wear cooler clothes and ditch your friends, you might still have a chance
Girly764: A chance for what?
YellowNote: To be in our group, the popular group.
I couldn’t believe what I read, this person who I apparently think is my friend, has told me that I’m a nerd and I have to completely change all to continue hanging out with her and her groupies. YellowNote: Don’t you dare tell any adult about this or I’ll make your life miserable.
Girly764: I won’t.

The conversation went on for a while, as this person continued to make me feel inferior. Was this some kind of joke? I wanted to see if there was some clue, some little detail that she gave so I could figure out who she was. I was faced with a decision, to pick which group of friends I wanted. This decision seemed easy, but it really wasn’t.

The next day when I got to school I showed my best friends, Mackenzie and Tess, the conversation I had printed off the computer. My friends are great but I just don’t know if they’re going to understand my want for popularity. They weren’t into boys and parties; problem was without that, my life felt pathetic. Tess told me, “Rumour goes around it’s someone from our school.” Tess was right, but as we were reading over these papers outside, a teacher walked by and started reading it. She asked, “May I take a look at this?” My heart started racing as I remembered YellowNote telling me that I shouldn’t tell anyone about the conversation. That same day, we had all the girls meet in the gymnasium for an intervention. We had teachers talk about getting along and how any kind of bullying would not be tolerated. “Bullying, is that what this really was?” I wondered. Soon enough the word about YellowNote had spread all over school. A few weeks later, the teachers told us they caught who had written the messages; they couldn’t do much because it didn’t happen at school. Once we asked who wrote it, their reply was: “We don’t want to cause any more problems”. For the next few years of high school, I came to school feeling inferior. I couldn’t stop thinking about how everyone else perceived me as I walked down the halls or talked to someone outside my circle of friends. It’s funny how a conversation on the computer can ruin your life. Once I went to college, I learned that not everyone judges you all the time. As I made new friends, it was just a fact of meeting people who looked for the best in everyone. This is a message to all girls, don’t be afraid to be who you are, others are judging but others also love you, for being you!

Part of this story was an experience I had in 7th grade and it did affect me greatly. Luckily it didn't take me until college to realize being myself was the best way to live life.