The Perfect Gentlemen | Teen Ink

The Perfect Gentlemen

By NJwriter10 BRONZE, West Milford, New Jersey
NJwriter10 BRONZE, West Milford, New Jersey

“No,” she replied, “I don’t think I want to anymore.”

“But what have I done to deserve this,” I asked.

I sat there dumbfounded now. I thought this would be a normal date. Damn you Leah.

“Well,” Leah began, “it’s hard with sports now and I just think it would be hard to see

each other.”

“OK, sure!”

“Please don’t talk like that Casey.”

“Why not?”

“Because we are in a restaurant and your starting to get loud.”

It was true. Some people had turned their heads in our direction out of curiosity. I didn’t

care. I was pissed but not wanting attention I lowered my voice.

“I’m sorry”

“It’s fine.”

“Is there someone else?” I finally inquired.

“Of course not Casey, she said mournfully, “you were perfect.”

I looked at her very carefully. It was hard to tell if she was lying and I tried to find

something in her face that told me she was not telling me the whole story. But I got lost

in her beauty. She had fine long red hair that was in a ponytail. She had pale white skin

which made her different in a sense from all the other girls who had tan skin. And beside

her fair breasts, her face was the most unique. Very little makeup, except for eyeliner,

and her face was a beauty to behold as if praising the beauty of a Greek godess. So

instead finding what I wanted I was lost in what attracted me the most to her which was

her beauty.

I don’t know how long we stared at each other but she finally got up and prepared to

leave. I thought for a second I saw a slight tear in her eye but she put her sunglasses on

so quickly I couldn’t really tell.

“I’ll keep in touch, hun.”

And with that she kissed me goodbye and left very promptly. I didn’t know what to do or

feel so I just watched her walk out.

“Damn that was hard,” Leah sighed as she walked out. She was crying now and her

black eyeliner was running down her face like a wild stream after a heavy rainstorm. But

it was hard to tell with her big sunglasses on. She kept walking looking for Dana.

Leah finally found her. She was leaning against a wall texting. As Leah got closer she

looked up.

“Well?”

“I did it,” I was able to spit out, but barley.

“Good. Now stop crying dear and lets get the hell out of here.”

“Sure.”

It was a long walk to the car on the other side of the parking lot so I began to talk.

“I’ll miss him.”

“No you won’t.”

“How do you know?”

“Leah listen,” Dana said with a little bit of annoyance, “you’re 18, he’s younger than

you, I don’t think he will be of any concern once he figures out you don’t want him.”

“Sure.”

Leah helplessly got into the car beside her friend. She was lost and confused. She had met

the perfect gentlemen yet it was no concern of Dana that for once in her life she was

happy with someone. Sure he was taciturn but handsome, polite, ambitious, and very

artistic. But what was it Dana didn’t approve?

“I don’t know,” Leah said.

“What?”

“Nothing, it’s nothing.”

And from that point on she felt hopelessly lost.

First short story I ever wrote. I hope it is a good start and everyone enjoys!