Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road? | Teen Ink

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

May 19, 2009
By Marisa Mayes BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
Marisa Mayes BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Once upon a time, there was a family of little chickens. There were two parents, along with their two kids, Penny and Clyde. They were very excited for the first day of chicken school, so when Penny and Clyde came home with sad faces, their parents were very surprised.

“What wrong?” Asked the mom chicken to her babies, “Why the long beaks?”

“We couldn’t read what was written on the board, so Mr. Feathers said we needed glasses!” Exclaimed Clyde. “I don’t want to get glasses! Those are so ugly! I’d rather not see than get glasses.”

“What about you, Penny?” Asked the dad chicken.

“Well, I’d like to be able to learn to read. So, can we go to the eye doctor’s right now?”

“That’s a great idea, Penny. Clyde, are you sure you don’t want to come?”

“I’m positive,” he said with a scoff.

At the eye doctor’s, Penny picked out a cool pair of glasses that complimented her feathers very nicely. Clyde didn’t compliment her new frames at all. At school the next day, it wasn’t long until Penny was going finishing books left and right. She had written a couple stories, and she could read the board from the back of the classroom with ease. Meanwhile, Clyde was stuck squinting until his entire face hurt. He didn’t like the idea of glasses, even if it meant being about to read and write. They were way too dorky for his taste.

Penny and Clyde met in front of the school when class was dismissed so they would walk home together. It was quite a long walk, but Penny enjoyed it because of all the new plants and buildings she could look at.

When it came time to cross the major road, Penny reached to hold Clyde’s wing, as she did every day. He pulled his wing away.

“Go ahead sis, you first. I don’t really want to be seen holding a dork’s wing.”

“Clyde, this is a busy road, just hold my wing until we get across.”

With a swift shake of his head, Clyde refused. Penny wasn’t worried about the cars, she could see them all with such precision now. She was already halfway across when she heard the blare of a truck horn. She identified the truck immediately, and it was heading straight for her brother, who couldn’t even see the monstrous thing coming right toward him. Penny ran to Clyde as fast as her little legs would carry her. Her screams of his name were drowned out by the deafening roar. The truck was nearly to Clyde, when Penny reached out and grabbed her dumbfounded brother by his feathers.
After he was yanked away to safety, Clyde had an iron grip on Penny’s wing that he had refused to hold. When he started directed them in a direction opposite from their house, Penny asked where they were going.
“To the eye doctor’s,” he responded.