I Miss My Brother | Teen Ink

I Miss My Brother

April 27, 2009
By Shayla BRONZE, Rochester, New York
Shayla BRONZE, Rochester, New York
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Whitney thought that today was going to be another boring average day. She woke up like normal at 6:30 am and took her shower for school. When she got done it was her normal routine to wake up her older brother, Anthony, so he could get ready for school. When she went to Anthony’s, room she realized that no one was there. Immediately she thought it was no big deal.

“Maybe he got up early.” She said to herself.
She began to get dressed, but still in the back of her mind, she was a little worried because her brother always walked with her to the bus stop, but this wouldn’t be the first time she went by herself.

When Whitney was done getting dressed, she began to walk downstairs when she heard her mom and her step-dad arguing.

“Marcus! Why did you have to yell at him like that! He only came in five minutes after his curfew!” Whitney’s mom yelled.

“He needs to understand that he just can’t do whatever he wants! He is not the man of this house and he’s gonna find out that it’s a whole different world outside these doors and he’ll be crawling back here in no time.” Whitney’s step-dad yelled back.

“You don’t know that Marcus! Unless you can see the future I don’t know how you think you have the right to tell me what’s going to happen to my son! Do you hear me? THAT IS MY SON you sent out there! He is not your son and you have no right to punish him! Nothing in this house is yours! This is my house and my family, so you know what…just leave ok…just leave!”

Whitney couldn’t believe what she just heard. Her big brother, her best friend had left her. She couldn’t believe it. She knew that her step-dad and Anthony had a little argument but she didn’t know that Anthony had left.

“He must have left in the middle of the night. I can’t believe that he would leave me in this crazy house!” Whitney cried.
Whitney ran to her room and began to cry. All of a sudden she glanced at her nightstand and saw a piece of paper. She walked over to the nightstand and picked the piece of paper. It was a letter from Anthony.

“Dear lil sis,” the letter read.

Well as you may have heard, that bas***d, Marcus wanted me to leave the house. In his words it’s ‘his house’. But it’s our house! I just want you to know that I never meant to leave you like this. I would never want to leave you living in a crazy house like ours. Whitney, you’re my little sister and I love you so, much but I just can’t live in that house with that man. So for right now I’m going to be living with Nathan. You remember him, right? He goes to our school. Well I want you to promise me you won’t tell mom where I am because I don’t care what she says I’m not living in the same house with that man. But promise me you will come sometimes and see me. You’re my little sister and I can’t live without you in my life. Please Whitney! I love you!








-Anthony


Whitney began to cry when she realized that her mom kicked Marcus out. So that meant that Anthony can come back. As soon as Whitney realized this she ran outside her room and down the stairs. She saw her mom sitting on the couch crying.

“Whitney, I have something to tell you.” Her mom said.

“I already know mom” Whitney said as she began to run out the door.

“Wait, where are you going Whitney?” Her mom shouted

“I’m going to get my brother” Whitney said as she left the house and headed for Nathan’s house.