I'm Watching U | Teen Ink

I'm Watching U

By Dana Bernstein SILVER, Scarsdale, New York
Dana Bernstein SILVER, Scarsdale, New York

I was sitting in the dark. Alone. The glare from my computer was the only source of light. My bedroom door was locked. So were the windows. The curtains were shut. I had checked numerous times to make sure these necessary precautions were in place. My eyes were bloodshot. I looked at the clock on my dresser. It was 3:31 AM. Yet another sleepless night. I stared at my computer. I had AIM, Gmail, and Facebook open. There weren’t any new status messages, IMs, or posts from anyone. Everyone was asleep except me. I looked at my hands. They were shaking with fear. I took a sip from my water bottle. Immediately my cell buzzed. You have one new text message, it said. I took a deep breath and opened it. Thirsty much?, it said. For the twentieth time, I texted back Leave.Me.Alone. I went over to my dresser drawer to grab a sweatshirt. My cell buzzed again. You just put on a green sweatshirt, the text read. I wrote back. Who are you, and what the hell do you want from me? Stop stalking my every move!!! I started chewing my hair, a nervous habit. My cell buzzed. You know biting your hair isn’t good for you, the text read.

For the past two days and nights, I had received messages similar to these. Someone was out to get me. They wanted to make me miserable. And it was working. The past few mornings, I had received texts that told me exactly what I was wearing, from the color of my shirt to the earrings I was wearing. Every move I made triggered a new text from the stalker.

When I went to school yesterday, my best friend Shelley cornered me and demanded to know why I had called her a s***. I told her that I had no idea what she was talking about. She told me that I had sent her a text that read You are the biggest s*** in school. It was yet again the work of the stalker. Shelley didn’t believe me when I told her I hadn’t sent her the text message. I couldn’t tell her or anyone else the truth for the stalker had threatened to kill me if I did. The stalker had scared me into submission.

My cell buzzed. I will be with you when you die, the text read. I dropped the phone in horror. The expected buzz came again. I couldn’t take it anymore. I threw my cell against the wall, and the phone went silent mid-buzz. I regained my composure, picked up the pieces, and threw the cell in the trash.

When I looked back at my computer, it was flashing. Not only had the stalker hijacked my cell, but he/she had also hijacked my computer. I clicked on Facebook. Taylor McKinley is angry, my status bar read. In an instant, my status changed. It now read Taylor McKinley can’t sleep. My Gmail status said the same thing. Before I could figure out what I was going to do, an IM popped up from imwatchingu123@mac.com.

imwatchingu123 (3:39:52 AM) having fun? hahahahah.
taytaymckinley33 (3:40:11) WHAT DO U WANT FROM ME??? LEAVE ME ALONE!
imwatchingu123 (3:40:43) I.Want.U.Dead.

taytaymckinley33 is offline

My heart was pounding in my chest. My teeth couldn’t stop chattering. I thought I was going to pass out. My Facebook status changed. It now read Taylor McKinley is going to die tonite. I couldn’t breathe. The cordless phone in my room began to ring. I rushed over to unplug it. Taylor McKinley doesn’t answer her phone., my status now read. It had quickly changed to Taylor McKinley’s brother is in danger.

I grabbed my tennis racket. Not the best weapon, but it would have to do. I barged into Jake’s room, nearly knocking the door down. He was in his bed. Check. I put a mirror up to his face to make sure he was still breathing. Check. I made sure he all his limbs were in tact. Check.

“What on earth are you doing?” he asked me sleepily.

“Just making sure you’re okay. Go back to sleep. It’s nothing really.” I mustered up smile.

He wasn’t convinced. “Do you need me to get Mom and Dad?” he asked.

“No!” I said, a little too loudly. “I’m fine really. Pretend this never happened.”

“Um, okay then.”

“But, uh, if you hear a strange sound or anything weird, scream as loud as you can,” I told him.

“Tay, you’re scaring me. Go back to sleep, k?”

“Mmhm. But just remember what I said.” I left his room.
Well, he seemed to be fine. I would check up on him again in ten minutes. I reached the end of the hallway where my room was and noticed that the door was closed. Suspicious. I was pretty sure that I had left it open. What was-

I opened my mouth to scream. But, it was too late. Standing there was the stalker.

Facebook News Feed. What’s on your mind?

Taylor McKinley is dead. Share.

on Jun. 5 2009 at 3:49 am
Amber4774 BRONZE, Senatobia, Mississippi
That sent chills down my spine. But otherwise wonderful. Well written.

unspoken314 GOLD, Baltimore, Maryland

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

Wow this is really creepy and full of suspense. I really like it! Have you written any more?