Swinging into Faith | Teen Ink

Swinging into Faith

May 17, 2009
By th3realbaby BRONZE, Valdosta, Georgia
th3realbaby BRONZE, Valdosta, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was swinging in the backyard, discouraged and broken, feeling alone in the world. It was just me. I felt the swing gently lurch forward. I glanced back, and there stood God.
“What is the problem, my child?” He asked.

For a moment, I was too stunned to speak. How can I see God? How can He be here beside me? How can He love me? I only pray to Him when I want something, or need Him to bail me out of trouble. What kind of love do I have for Him? My musings continue, and I don’t answer.

God chuckled.

“What’s so funny?” I ask.

“You,” He replied with finality.

Oh! That’s all I could think. Obviously, He knows my thoughts.

“That is correct.” He said with humor.

I purposefully began to blank my mind of all thought and this tickled God immensely.

“Why child, are you hiding your thoughts?”

“I don’t understand you, or love, or pain, or anything,” I whined.

“That is because now is not the season for your understanding. In due time and trust in your Father you will understand.” He replied.

I thought carefully for a second.

“Why me?”

The swing stopped. My feet were still swinging and at this moment my faith grew. Everything will be okay in “due time,” I began to believe.

The swing slowly began to rock.

“Very good, my child.”

“But where do I get strength to survive? I hurt so badly.” I asked.

“Just have faith and I will give you the way.” He answered.
Then He added, “Why do you not wholly trust me?”

I took a moment to think. “I do…but it’s hard. I have been through so much.”

He was silent for a moment but kept pushing me.

“Who do you think brought you through all your problems?” He asked softly.

I began to cry. God is with me.
It slowly began to rain. God is with me.
The swing continued. God is with me.
My tears subsided. The rain let up. God is with me.
I saw the sun and a rainbow.

I stopped feeling the constant push on the swing; however, the movements of my feet made it continue.

I looked over at the clouds and smiled at the rainbow. The sun grew warm against my skin. I knew it was Him.

“God is with me,” I said, while stopping the swing.

“Yes. I Am, always.” He replied.