The end is just the beginning | Teen Ink

The end is just the beginning

By Monique Williams BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Monique Williams BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Chills ran up my back. Frost and fog covered up the window. I didn’t dare go outside. I was afraid people would find out. They might already know, I can’t let them find out, with out a fight.

There was a knock at the door. I was hesitant to answer it, but who could ignore something so irritating. So I answered it, and to my shock I opened the door to a large man in a gray suit stating,

“This is serious business. I need to talk to your dad Elizabeth, and I have no time for games!”

“Nice to see you too Officer Jeff,” I jeered

“Yeah, is your dad here or not?”

“NO, NO, NO, NO, NO HEHE NOT” I said nervously.

“Don’t worry I’ll be back, and be sure to tell Mike one more strike and he’s out!”

“I don’t have time for this so officer, if you don’t mind I really have to be going” I rambled

“Ooooh scared,” I said under my breath.

But the truth was that I was really scared. Scared my dad would go to jail. First, stealing, and Now bank robbing. I have to tell, I must tell. I won’t live a lie. Not any more! I’ve been there, done that, and don’t want to go back!

I looked out the window anxiously waiting for Officer Jeff to pull off. Then 2 minutes later he pulls off in his dark blue convertible. But knowing his cars moved off makes me wonder is he still there, watching? I couldn’t help but feeling nervous. My heart’s pounding in my chest so hard and extremely fast, and my forehead is sweating, and all I’m wondering is what should I do? Suddenly, I heard a scream, Coming from my dad’s room.

Dad!!! I screamed as I busted into the wooded door of my dad’s room hoping everything was ok. But I couldn’t help but walking in on my dad planning to rob the bank. I couldn’t believe it!! It just lay their looking at me, and me looking at it! I had no choice but to ask why?

“Dad why!?” I said confused

“Why not, I have already lost everything. I have nothing to lose. I already lost my job, my wife, and probably my house!” Dad said

“SO that’s it? You’re going to risk your life, just for a few bucks?”

“I know what I’m doing, and I’m not going to change my mind!”

“You’ll lose me, and if that’s nothing I’m glad to know because you had me fooled.” I said as I ran to the Bathroom bawling my eyes out.

I slammed the door shut and ran towards the mirror. I felt like everything in the world had disappeared! I couldn’t help but feel scared and ashamed. I can’t let my father rob the bank. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, so close I could count my freckles. My long brown hair flowing down my back, as my face turned pale. Then it occurred to me I could rob the bank. My dad wouldn’t’ let them take me to jail would he?

I stopped and nervously turned my head to nothing. I couldn’t breath. My heart stopped. I wanted to cry, I wanted to walk in, but I couldn’t, so I turned towards the direction home. But before I could take one step I saw Elizabeth running towards me. Mike the dad said. I ran out of the house to the nearest bank, and I spotted him and I don’t know what came over me.
“No, dads don’t do it!” I screamed as I leaped on his back. We both stumbled to the ground aching but I couldn’t help but look up. As he looked up at me with his blue eyes and said…..

“Should I do it? Should I walk in that bank with a gun? Will you forgive me!?” My dad said.

“No, I’m sorry!” I said running away, “Everyone stick your hands up!” I said regretfully.