Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

October 4, 2019
By 1koller BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1koller BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Henry sounds like a sunrise, the sound of the fresh morning air, the good times and laughs with friends. The warmness of all of these things and the feelings of unity and peace is why Henry is the color of a deep red. The feeling of warmth in the bottom of your stomach, the hug or comfort of a loved one. Sometimes I wonder why my parents gave me the name Henry. Was it an impulse or random selection, or did they know that I would grow up to fit the name very well?


Henry was given to many medieval knights and kings and stemmed from the following names: Haimirich, Haimerich, Heimerich, or Hemirih. Henry could be the castle or suit of armor that protect the people from harm, the guardian of friends and families, or the knight that helps overcome obstacles that the kingdom might come in contact with.


I wonder what people think of when they hear the name Henry. There are not many of us.If I were someone else and I heard the name Henry I would think of someone who is fun and ready to have a good time. The meaning of Henry is the “ruler of the house” which is something that I am not at all. Is the ruler of the house suppose to be bossed around, or is that only in my house? Or could it mean something else. Like the ruler who helps everyone and makes sure everyone is ok, or making everyone have a happy life. I find I do that a lot. I’ll leave the ruling of the house to my parents.


Henry does not have any nicknames that I’ve heard before. Sister Hen is what a couple of my friends call me, but Hen is one that would be normal for a person named Henry to be called. I don't quite like Hen and If anyone tries to call me Hen, they probably did not end up being my friend. If I could change my name I would. Adian, my middle name, is what my Mom wanted to name me, but of course it was my Dad’s turn to pick the name and even though Henry is in his, it was a good selection.


In the end I wouldn’t mind changing my name in the future, but also Henry isn’t a very popular name  so it is unique which could be a good thing. I feel the name Henry fits my personality. I think this because I am all the things that Henry is. I am the person that friends go to in hard times. I am the person who creates good laughs and creates even better friendships. I am the name Henry and maybe I would change it but maybe I’ll keep the name of someone who makes others feel warm inside.


The author's comments:

This was a Composition assignment for Highschool