Trey's Trial | Teen Ink

Trey's Trial

June 13, 2019
By Nikkipage8 BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
Nikkipage8 BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The summer was unforgettable but now I must face reality in 2 days. So many beach trips, bonfires, night drives, parties, girls nights and the list could go on. It was my last summer of being in high school and now I’m a senior. Wow. A senior that’s insane. I want these last 2 days to be the time of my life.

Hey Jaz wyd??

Nothing girl just hanging around wanna go to the beach?

Ya I'll pick you up in 10, get ready

Aight see ya soon

Rae has been my best friend since the second grade. If I hadn't met her I can promise you I would not be the person I am today. She has been there through everything and honestly, I'm so blessed to have her. As soon as she got here she talked to my dad for a little bit. Did I mention she has a jeep wrangler, it is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on….. Except for Trey Atkins. He’s my ex-boyfriend but still nice to stare at. Anyway beach here we come.

    Once we got to the beach we met up with a couple of other friends Tara, James, Dante, Ashley, and Damien. Just to get you all caught up, Tara and Dante are a thing and James and Ashley have been dating for as long as I can remember. We bring all our stuff down to the beach and set up for the day. I look over to my right to feel an insane amount of butterflies in my stomach. Wow, he looks fine. It was Trey I knew he was the lifeguard at the beach I just didn't know if he was working today or not. I wasn't going to let him ruin my time by missing him though. So we set up the tents and umbrellas and the volleyball net and games. We all were either laying down in the sun or in the water playing chicken or some stupid game or some of us were making food. Either way, we were having a good time.

 

Hey mum,

   It's been almost 1 whole year since you left. I just want to let you know that I love you with my whole heart. Dad and I are doing better! He’s going to rehab for his drinking problem and well anger management isn't really doing all that great but at least he's trying! UGH, who am I kidding mom I miss you so much. It's really hard going home. Today Rae and I went to the beach with a couple of other friends but I saw Trey there. Mom, I swear he's getting cuter day by day. I start my senior year in 3 days! It's insane I don't have you by my side to help me through but I love you so much mom I'll see you tomorrow.

Love Jaz


   I woke up after a long night of partying and my first thought was wow we have school tomorrow. It's my last first day of high school. Any way Rae and I decided to go to the store to get some snacks for the day. As we entered Joe's Market I saw this black man faced down on the floor, being forcefully restrained by a cop. It was Trey, I can't imagine what he could have possibly done considering he wouldn't even hurt a fly. I scurried over to see what was going on although it was hard to get through.  I heard trey trying to tell the cop it is a misunderstanding and that he wasn’t doing anything wrong but the cop didn't care he just kept wailing on him. I wanted to break it up, I really did but I was so scared that he would hit me too. People were taking videos, some people were screaming stop!!!!! And others were just standing there in shock watching every little move. After that god awful show Trey could barely move. He was moaning every time he moved the slightest bit. The cop tried to put him in handcuffs but Trey couldn't even bend that way. It was so bad that the ambulance had to rush over and get him.

Rae and I didn't even know what to think. Did we just witness a racist act?  Did Trey actually commit a crime? What was the cop thinking? The whole ride back to Raes house we were debating or whether or not to visit Trey to see how he was doing and to hear the whole story. Although, we thought we would let him rest. When we got back to Raes we tried to watch a movie and forget about it.

It was the first day of senior year and honestly, I couldn't stop thinking about Trey and if he was alright or not. As Rae picked me up before school she was going off about Tristin ( her mans). Apparently, he was out last night with some of his friends and he didn’t tell her about it and there’s a video of him getting all handsy with some other girl. You know how it goes teenage drama. I just nodded my head, agreeing with whatever she was saying and kept on thinking about the day and how weird it's going to be without Trey there. Walking into school seemed weird at first but Rae and I met up with Tara, Dante, James, Damien, and Ashley. I don't know why I thought no one would hear about the whole Trey scandal but everyone was stating their opinion already. I checked my phone and there are videos being posted left and right.

After school, I rushed over to the hospital to see how Trey was holding up. It was going to be a little awk but his mom loves me and I needed to know.


Hey mum,


   You're never going to believe what happened, so yesterday Rae and I went to Joe’s Market to get some snacks for a movie we were going to watch. As soon as we walk in I saw Trey laying on the ground getting beat by a cop. I was in shock and didn’t even know what to do. The cop was hitting him so hard and when other cops showed up he made up a bullshit lie about Trey saying he had a gun on him when all he had in his pockets were his phone and some gum. I know it's not my fight but I want to do something about it, maybe go to the police station and talk to the chief. Tell them what I saw and that Trey wasn't even resisting. Idk who they will believe the other cops word over mine but there's a video to prove it. Also, I started my first day of senior year today, I thought about you the entire time and thinking to myself how proud you would be of me. Anyway, I'll catch you up later on how Trey is doing. I'm gonna go over there right now to see how he is doing. I love you so much, mom.

-Love Jaz


As soon as I reached the hospital I saw Trey's mom in the lobby and she greeted me with her arms wide open almost begging for a hug. So, of course, I walked right into it. She was sobbing, her mascara looked like she was standing out in the pouring rain for hours and she was shaking hoping her (not so little ) boy would make it. The doctor directed his mom out back first to see if he was alright. Which he was, thank god, but I thought him and his mom need this time alone. I was nervous to see him but more scared of how he was doing so I walked out back after about 15 mins and there he was in the bed covered in bandages and bruises. His eyes opened wide when he saw me and sort of smiled. I just started to tear up. Seeing him in pain made me so upset. I went over for a hug ( I almost kissed his forehead but I saved myself from that). His mom stepped out of the room for a little bit to give us some space.

Dang man you got beat up

Yea, the worst part is I didn't even do nothing. I was just picking out a drink out of the cooler then went to check my phone and all of a sudden I'm on the ground getting hit.

So the cop hit you for no reason at all? Did he think you were shoplifting?

No, when he hit me the first time he yelled gun but I didn’t even have one, I DON'T EVEN OWN ONE

Hey listen I know you're upset but don't get to worked up over it, you're in too much pain. I just came by to check on you because I saw it go down, and if you need me to testify I will! I'll explain in detail how he hit you and you didn't do a damn thing.

Thank you Jaz, but what you mean testify, you think this is going to go to trial?

Well of course already everyone at school has talked about it and picked sides. I wouldn't doubt it if you're on the news. Listen you didn't do anything wrong.

I know I'm just scared, this is so embarrassing. Jaz thank you for coming and checking on me how have you been?

I really wanted to say horrible, I miss you so much but of course, I won't

I've been aight, yanno had a pretty exciting summer, but hey I should go and you need to get some rest

Okay yeah, thanks again for stopping by ugh text me later maybe

Of course, see ya

 


   

As soon as I woke up I heard Trey's name all over the news and even the video. They won't release the video (even though it's all over social media) but basically, it's just saying that the situation is under investigation. I am still in shock from the whole thing and talking to Trey about it was nice. Actually, when I got home I texted him to see how he was doing. He was in a lot of pain and I wasn't really expecting much of a different answer. But instead of going to bed he stayed up talking to me. We talked about everything from how his summers been to my mom and how I've dealt with that and it all ended in an “ I miss you” from each person. He told me how sorry he was about my mom. I don't really like to talk about it but I lost her to breast cancer. She was my strong role model who fought her hardest but cancer still beat her, like how that cop beat Trey. Only this time I knew Trey would win. Trey has to win. He didn't have a gun on him, he didn't resist and yet the cop still kept on beating him?  I don't understand how he could even be on the bad side of the argument. Was it because he was wearing a hoodie and looked like a thug. That shit means nothing, Trey is a good person.

   Anyways I still had to go to school, I still had to live my life knowing Trey is currently in a hospital. It wasn't anything different. I walked around the halls and the same debate that was going on yesterday was still going on today. Did Trey deserve that beating? Did Trey actually have a gun? Needless to say the whole town was riled up about it. In just a couple of days we were going to find out if this situation would go to trial! I was so nervous, but I can't imagine how Trey was handling this.

 

Hey mom

We find out if Treys crime is going to trial and I've never been more nervous in my life. If it does should I testify for him? I heard all about that and it seems really scary. I don't know if I could go up there and talk about it without getting emotional. I think I'm going too. It would be good to have a witness talk. I will keep you updated on how everything goes. I leave to go to court in a half hour wish me luck. I love you mom.

Love Jaz


Today's the day, the day we have all been anxiously awaiting. The trial of Trey Atkin’s, my former lover, best friend and someone I still deeply care for, even if things ended on a bad note. I had just gotten into the car to hear yet another radio talk show addressing the situation

“ Ladies and gentleman today is the day everyone has been so eagerly waiting for Trey Atkin’s trial. Well folks this is certainly going to be a good one, lot’s of different ideas about the whole event have been brought forth but i mean hey Ron its innocent until proven guilty am i right? And now back to Tracy for today's weather.”

I had to shut it off I just could not listen to another one of those damn radio shows, it was almost like hearing a broken record. The messed up thing is people actually seemed to be excited for it. I finally get out of bed do my normal hair and makeup routine, wishing now more than ever that my mother is here to help me through this. I know she isn’t, but I know she would want me to be her strong baby girl like she always told me I was. As I am grabbing a coffee, I get a text from Trey’s lawyer which states that Trey is being offered a plea deal. Instantly, I am frozen, but I continue to read the text. The rest of it explains the fine details of this plea deal, but to sum it up for you, they want Trey to plead guilty and only have to serve a minimum of 10 years and a maximum of 15. They also want him to verbally commit to 150 hours of community service and 4 years of probation. This, to me, was just so shocking. I knew this can’t be right. Trey would never bring a gun anywhere, let alone a store. He doesn't even like guns in general. I asked if I could speak to Trey, so the lawyer put him on the phone.

“Are you going to take it?” I asked him.

“You know Jaz, I know I'm not guilty but I really do not want to have to go through this whole trial process” He said

“Yeah I know, but that officer needs to pay for what he has put you through, Trey. It’s awful.”  I told him.

“I have to go, we are going to meet in person to talk about the plea deal.” Trey than tells me.

I am just absolutely flustered all day stressing out about whether or not Trey is going to take the deal. I am really hoping he doesn’t, this officer need to pay for what he did right? Its a half an hour before the trial when my phone starts buzzing, it is Trey’s lawyer calling me, he informs me that Trey did not want to take the deal and he is going to fight for what is right. I have never been so happy to hear something in my life. Even though I just received this good news I know that Trey still has a long drawn out fight ahead of him. It is going to be crucial for him to keep his composure while being in court and on the stand.

I arrive at the courthouse trying my best to find Trey but I can't, there are to many reporters waiting outside. I finally see Trey amongst the sea of reporters frantically trying to fight past the crowd to get in. I am now inside the courtroom and the trial begins. Trey is immediately drilled with questions about everything you could possibly think about. He remains calm and answers them in a respectful manner the last thing he wants is for them to think he is some kind of thug who just got caught. The trial goes on for days and days with lots of tears and emotional breakdowns. Finally the jury has reached a verdict, the officer on the job is guilty of racial profiling, he is charged with false arrest, falsification of evidence and police brutality he is set to serve 5 years in a state prison and is never able to be a police officer ever again. This made me so ecstatic I thought I should take Trey out for dinner at our favorite place back from when we used to date, Pop’s. Trey and I laughed and joked and just had an amazing time. Kind of reminds me of the good old days, Trey taps me on the hand and I glance at him and he says “you know Jaz i’ve been thinking what's so bad about us together you know? You feel me in some type of way that no other woman in my life and I wanna be with you forever .” I sit in my thoughts for a minute and realize he is right i've never felt this type of way about a man in my life so we forget the bad times and try again.


                                                               


The author's comments:

Relatable to highschoolers