The Lonely Night | Teen Ink

The Lonely Night

By 0skaggs BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
0skaggs BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

One cold night on December 23th, 1989 was thought to be a urban legend came to life. As the snowflakes fall through the dark, mistly, fog I was woken by a flash of bright, green light.  As something came closer I knew it couldn’t be the reindeer because Santa doesn’t come for another day. My 8 year old mind was confused as I mumbled , “If everyone is asleep and it's not Santa, Who is outside?”. With my warm pajamas on, I grabbed by coat and boots trying not to be heard. As I snuck down the stars I saw the light streak through the windows of my house;still not knowing what this could be I slowly crept the door opening. As I step out of my house slowly closing the door behind me, I see the bright, green light again. This light swallowed my room stretching from wall to wall, to see I had to cover my eyes. Instead of leaving right away, the bright, green, light stops for just a second before darting away. Still trying to adjust to the light my eyes could find the shape of a small boy through the light. At this point my curiosity took me out into the street where little feet were imprinted on the fresh, packed snow. But these feet did not look like one of our kind. These feet were something different, something I couldn’t Identify.

That night I sat on the cold cement patiently waiting for that light to come back but it never did. As I went through my door I looked back into the street trying to find an explanation for what I just saw. With many theories I went back to my room where I laid thinking about this night. My eyelids fall as I drift to sleep. The next morning at breakfast I try to tell my family what I saw last night but I was met with disbelief. They dismissed my story, saying it was my 8-year-old imagination, I darted to the street, hoping to find the tracks that the creature left behind. Instead under the snow, I see a note on the door reading, “Hello Trenton, What you saw last night is real and I am definitely alive. What I need if your help, Christmas is in very big danger and we need you to help save it. What do you say? If you say yes, meet me on the street late tonight.” As I run back into my house to show my family what I have, I fell, and the note slipped out of my hands. The note falls into the snow, but with a gust of wind the note flies through the air and was never to be seen again.

The day feels like years as I’m eager to help save Christmas. After dinner I physically and are mentally getting prepared for whatever the “Boy” is wanting me to do. As I approach the street, the flash of light appears again. This time he hold out his hand, I fill my hand in his and we dart away. We come to a halt, standing in front of this old, beaten own, home.

The small boy then says, “My name is Chaz and I was send from Santa to make sure that this Christmas was celebrated by everyone this year . In this house there is a boy around your age. His dad died in a car accident last year and his mother just died of cancer. His grandparents are looking after him but they got stuck in a storm. He is all alone Christmas eve and we want someone to spend time with him and be his friend.”

With a sad look on my face I said , “I know this boy, his name is Daniel and he goes to my school. He is very quiet and always sad. I never knew why so I decided to stay away. I don’t want anyone to be along not tonight.”

Chaz hands me a present to give to him. As I walked toward the house I was nervous on what he would say to me, would he invite me in or would he want to be alone? I knock on the door and I hear footsteps and the padlock slide clear. The door softly opens and daniel answers. We greet each other and I hand him the present.

David with a tear falling from his cheek he replied, “Thank you so much, I didn’t know if Santa was gonna plan on coming this year because he missed us last year. This is very kind of you”.

I nod for him to open it. With excitement he tears off the bow and paper. Holding us the toy that he had just gotten. Out of nowhere Daniel starts crying, wondering why he is I ask him why he's crying.

“This is a game that me and my dad used to play before he died. It’s the last memory that I have with him. We lost all the pieces when I had to move to my grandparents.” He quietly said.

After for a short time the room was gloomy and was filled with sorrow. Then under his breath daniel said softly, “ Trenton would you like to take my dad’s place and play this game for me? Just one time?”

Gladly I nod yes and we enjoy the board game sharing lots of laughs and jokes. That cold, winter night on Christmas Eve changed two people’s lives. Thanks to chaz and I not only did we save christmas but we gained a new friendship because of it.