Winged breath | Teen Ink

Winged breath

April 1, 2019
By Hallel BRONZE, Petah Tikva, Other
Hallel BRONZE, Petah Tikva, Other
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Nervousness. A stomach full of Pegasi. Air so fluttery and electrical it must have been charged. Last minute questions, making sure it’s perfect. Checking in a mirror to see not a hair is out of place. And then a muffled voice from outside.

A last squeal, a small whisper of “good luck”. Deep breath. Deep, deep breath. Let out all the air. Walk. Get into position. One last breath, blue skies in, gray skies out. Wait for the beat, 5, 6, 7, 8. It started. 

In the beginning, we’re unsure. Place one foot, gently, tentatively, not sure how the crowd will react. But soon, we can’t help ourselves. We let go, get carried away. Swirling in the beat, our souls moving our bodies in it’s feelings. The crowd loves it, gets carried away in our own excitement.

One last gesture, one last look. We’re building up to the climax, heart soaring with the music. And again, everything melts away.                                              We position ourselves. Apprehension fills us with the desire for perfection.      Place one foot in front of the other. Now, again. And again. And again and again, pick up the speed, run run run until our feet lift off the ground, and we’re flying.                                                                                               The anxiety of ago leaks away, and we’re lost in elation.                                  Now land, roll out. It’s done. 

 

From outside, we hear the crowd roaring, making their approval heard.          Inside, the air is so light and pure and bubbly, it must have been drenched with champagne.                                                                                        We’re all elated, as full of air as a hot air balloon. People congratulate us, and we smile, bask in their praise.

we breathe in, and there are no gray skies to breathe out.