Critical Mass | Teen Ink

Critical Mass

By Delfina05 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Delfina05 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I am your critical voice. I tell you you're not a good writer, not a good artist, not a good athlete, not a pretty person. I don't mean to hurt your feelings. My purpose is to help you improve. I consider myself to be your best friend because, without me, you wouldn't strive to become better than who you already are. I do taunt you and criticize everything you do, and I always tell you "You can't do this" but I am here to help. For instance, you went ice skating the other day with your older sister, and you hadn't been ice skating in a year. So, you had forgotten and you had to quickly relearn it. You were constantly saying, "I can't do this," and your sister was getting frustrated and she kept telling you to eliminate that phrase from your vocabulary. But because of me, you couldn't obey your sister and stop saying those words. I also kept reminding you that you can't ice skate. Eventually, you learned how to do it; you weren't perfect but you did it, and your sister was very proud of you. And that was all because of me, your honored critical voice. Never take advantage of the voice inside you because we really are your best pals.