The Lonely Tin Can | Teen Ink

The Lonely Tin Can

By alexis kroschel reed BRONZE, Coloma, Michigan
alexis kroschel reed BRONZE, Coloma, Michigan

I sat sadly in the cold, dark, recycling bin. It was so dark in this kitchen at night. I thought back about my day. But especially the scary part.
I had been sitting in the fridge, minding my own business, when an overweight, Filthy, pug-faced child opened the fridge door.
“Mom “he barked in a rough, deep, voice. “yes” answered a much sweeter voice. “We don’t have any juice” said the gorilla- like boy. “Have some Root beer then” said the sweet voice. The boy grabbed me by the waist.
From my point of view, I could see he needed a good hand washing. Why had that sweet voice called me Root beer? Why was this filthy child lifting me into the air? So many questions. All of a sudden the boy popped my lid! “Hey” I wanted to shout but I knew even if I tried he would not be able to understand me.
He lifted me to his chapped lips and began drinking my insides. Oh, how gruesome I thought. After he finished his disgusting deed, he threw me into a weird, blue, thing called a recycling bin.
I was uncomfortable and quite cramped. I had stayed in that exact spot all day and now here I was lonely, tired, and completely empty. Oh well, I thought could be worse. Soon I was snoring with all the other cans.
I awoke to a strange crunching sound. Oh wait, I had heard that sound before. It was the can refund machine! Oh no, I thought over and over.
The sweet voiced woman grabbed me and shoved me into the machine. Meanwhile, the obnoxious boy was begging for sweets. I slid down a large chute and slid into a cart. As soon as the last can came, the cart jolted.
“I’ve had this happen to me before” said a can “The people recycle you”. It sounded painful to me but as soon as I entered the room I felt better. There were miles and miles of cans. Now I knew I would never be lonely again.

I have always loved writing. But the thing that intrigues me the most about writing is the feeling of it. I love knowing that it is my own writing and it is unique. Though I am only ten years old, I can't help but be drawn into creative ideas. I love crafts, art, and other things too, but writing is definately the thing for me. The simplest things inspire me. But what I am trying to say is... stay true to yourself and have your own style, but most of all notice the simple things in life. If you do that, there is no limit to your success.

mom#1fan said...
on May. 6 2009 at 8:26 pm
I can not beleve your imagnation and the way you have with words. Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary said...
on May. 6 2009 at 8:03 pm
I was very impressed with Alexis talent for writing. For a 10 year old she certainly has a gift. I hope she never loses her desire to imagine all that she is capable of.