The Name I Carry | Teen Ink

The Name I Carry

By emmaer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
emmaer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The meaning behind my name is whole or universal. It’s a lullaby sung by a new mother. Spring time when you’re young. The first few steps in the dewy grass and the welcome smell of fresh flowers. But just like spring it changes quickly into something new. It sprouts up, growing into something different. The name in the examples. Used as a generic description of what a young woman should be. It’s the typical block lettering on a résumé, where creativity isn’t wanted. Classic, simple, and never misspelled.

My name is a classic, carry-all tote. Carried through life’s biggest moments. A flight to a new place. The first day of college. The interview for your dream job. No embellishments required. It’s a nice girly accessory, but not too out of the ordinary. It never goes out of style and matches any outfit. I like to think I resemble the same bag. I’m the go-to gal. Always ready to back you up. I stick to the rules–nothing crazy here! Just like the perfect tote.

It’s a poised ballerina. It always sits up right with shoulders back, like Nana tells it to. It’s the woman I dreamed of being. Especially when I was failing ballet. This woman oozes class and walks effortlessly in heels. She’s universally adored, just like name suggests. Because she’s still the sweet little girl in springtime. She can’t be shortened, changed or mispronounced.

It was the last name standing on the list of options. No family ties. Unless you consider it a combination of Great Aunt Elma and Irma. Emma. There aren’t many famous Emmas. But I’ll take it. I’ll run away with it. Make it big. Maybe I’ll be the famous Emma.

The only time I ever thought to change it was while playing house—— I’d be Mila or Liv. But these names aren’t me. They sound too exciting. They’re a crazy coffee drink with everything but the kitchen sink. Emma, she’s a smooth coffee and cream. I want to be Emma. A picture of a classic woman, with the joy and youthfulness of kids playing in the warm air. A simple typeface. But I’ll make sure what’s written cannot be ignored. I want this to be the me everyone sees. I like me as Emma, nothing else will do.