What's to my name? | Teen Ink

What's to my name?

By 0skaggs BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
0skaggs BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

In English my name, Trenton, means an English River. Which My name is a more original yet more sophisticated name. It’s like the number 13, a scary and wicked number. A number with opposing outlooks, one in the minds of some is one dark, scary Friday Night. The kind of night that is so scary, you feel queasy, so startled by the slightest chilling wind touching your skin. The other is a glorified and praised by some, maybe even sitting at the round table. The contrasting outlooks represent my name Trenton, which could be worn a more professional name, a more business name. While Trent is a more fun and relaxed name, something your friends would call you.

This name is part of a commonality of T names. Starting back in 1990, with my oldest brother Taylor. Then traveling to Trevor, then Tatum , over to Tori , leaving me, Trenton, then ending with Tyson. The name Trenton isn’t just another name in the family, but a proud tradition carried on throughout the children. A tradition that was started by accident with the first 3 led to a custom for the names to come. The name Trenton is a combination of my family heritage, a melting pot most say. Trenton is a merger of british, German, and other Eastern European countries.

Cheaper By the Dozen. A movie. That's how my name was derived. My family, similar to the family in the movie is dysfunctional with numerous kids causing chaos. My name was crafted because of the beautiful, historic city this movie took place in, Trenton, New Jersey. A founding city that was crucial to the upbringing the the United States against the British. This movie was a favorite for my parents because it related to my family with 4 little kids running rabid. Constant havoc. My name reminds me of this mad energy. Antagonizing, yet entertaining.

This movie was one thing our young family did with little spending money. A family that was weaved together, and founded on love.  Started with adoring parents who sacrificed everything for the success of their kids. I wonder if they never say that movie, what would my name have become? Maybe a Tristan or a Trey.

My personality really does fit the glove of the name Trenton. The two different sides of the name is alike to my personality. My energetic and fun side which could take on the world. Then my opposing side which is a professional, casual name which is a very etiquette side. I am happy with my name, many alongside me would agree that a Tristan and a Trey are too vague and boring. While my personality is bright and unique.