The Gifted Painter | Teen Ink

The Gifted Painter

By queen_6502 GOLD, Springfield, Massachusetts
queen_6502 GOLD, Springfield, Massachusetts

"When life hands you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how you did it"

In the time of our ancestors, there was a young girl born to a strong and courageous tribe. Although she appeared average, the gods had blessed her with extraordinary painting abilities. As the young girl grew, she would constantly be painting. On rocks, on tree bark, on leftover animal skin. Her brush flowed lighter than the wind, and the pigments bloomed like fresh flowers whenever she went to work. The world had never seen such artistic talent.

The girl, now a vibrant young woman, continued to paint. However, her family and tribe thought her passion was nothing more than an immature pastime. They thought she should be focused on important issues, like the wellbeing of the tribe, or even finding a husband. This crushed our heroine, and she ran deep into the forest, overcome with sadness. There she laid, sobbing and wondering how to make both her tribe and herself happy. Suddenly, she heard a wise voice coming from the trees speak.

“Young girl, it is your destiny to guide your tribe. They are so caught up in work, they fail to see the natural beauty of the world around them.” The girl was frightened at first, but the tree continued. “Our leaves are close to dying. Take your talent and bless us with gorgeous colors. Then your beloved tribe will understand.” The girl understood, got her materials ready, and started.

The girl was gone for several hours. When the tribe went to look for her, they were blown away at an astounding sight. Their once familiar forest was now adorned with stunning red, orange, and yellow pigments. Each leaf hung like a miniature sun, and the tribes curious eyes served as planets. They found the girl at the far edge of the forest, finishing up the last few leaves. They ran to her and started praising her.

“You are a gift from the gods. Your abilities are unmatched by any other being. Thank you for showing us the simple beauty of our land. You are a blessing.”

The girl and her tribe lived on, caring for each other and never letting small beauties slip away. The trees, pleased with how the tribe reacted, decided that at the end of every summer, as their leaves began to fall, the would transform them into miniature paintings, so that everyone could experience a simple beauty.