Farewell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Despite the numbing effect of the frost, the tears sting. She's assuring me that she'll write often, but I hear only the sputtering engine of the bus. I nod and stare through the snow covering my loafers, mumbling "I'll write too." Then silence.

"You'd better go, everyone's waiting."

We hug for the last time and I watch her boots trudge backward so I won't have to look into her green eyes anymore. When I look up, the back half of the bus fades away and I'm alone with the white trees. Closing my eyes, I see my family back home shouting around the dinner table. I ask my sister about her trip but only the tree seems to understand my interest; I tell my brother how much I care about him, but the dinner argument is too loud and my words fall to the ice. I run out of the kitchen and pick up my guitar but somehow it slips out of my hand and crashes through the floor. I kneel in the snow to pick up the pieces, but my friend is once again before me. She reminds me that we will never meet again. Though I repeat over and over that I love her, she doesn't seem to notice. I speak up, fearing that I'm mumbling once again, or that I wasn't clear, but to no avail. I hear the echo of my voice, but it sounds hollow so I shout. Maybe now she'll hear me.

"I love you! I love you!"

At first I don't understand why I'm invisible today, but then I remember that she has left and taken me with her. I can rest now, having departed with my friend. I need not stay here. I reach into my pocket and finger the capsules. The snow embraces me as I swallow, and my bed feels warm as it turns from white to black; all of a sudden, I find a voice. Finally, someone will hear me.

zhlen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was amazing and so deep at the same time. You are an amazing writer. I loved this so much!