It's Time | Teen Ink

It's Time

Something had just come across my mind at our last family dinner, and it has been boiling in my list of pet-peeves for ages. I now need to share this with you but before I do, it is just that I have weird idiosyncrasies, nothing against any of you.

I understand that when we are at family dinners, that there is a voluptuous amount of food at my disposal. Therefore, I do not need to be asked every thirty-three seconds whether or not I would like to try your ginger dressing, or lobster macaroni. If the dish appeals to me, then I will engage in the act of eating it. If I do not want to try this specific food, I have my own reasons.

P.S Before you ask: Yes, I am sure!

Love,

Jackie boy.

re:All of the Grandmothers, aunts, and mothers in the family pay attention.

family@allofyou.org

We, the collective group of the Cooking Women in the Family, would like to apologize for being very pushy throughout your life, since we know you are a picky eater. We just thought we would broaden your food selection.

Anywho, who can argue everything we make is not amazing? Let’s face it, we’re a cooking family. You have always loved our famous dishes, such as your Mother’s meatballs, Nana’s haddock, and Aunt Julie’s baked macaroni.

No longer will we force food upon you though, okay?

Love

Grandmas, Mom, Aunts

family@allofyou.org

I would thoroughly appreciate that.

This does not mean I would like for you to make less food and have less for me to choose from. A man has still got to eat. I love all of your food that is normally cooked along with the desserts and sides.

I just get very irritated when I am sitting in a hibachi style restaurant with a menu in front of me and in a matter of ninety seconds I am asked if I:”want steak along with chicken?”, “Want to try some of my salad?”(which is just a strange thing to share in the first place), or if I would like to “try some of this tea?”.

re:All of the Grandmothers, aunts, and mothers in the family pay attention. \

family@allofyou.org

We understand. It is just a habit.

Love,

The Women in the Family

family@allofyou.org

If I wanted any of these things, I think I am comfortable enough ,after 18 years of knowing you people to ask you to pass the tea, or add steak to my meal. So please just realize how agonizing it is to continuously say “No thank you.” or “I am all set, thanks though”throughout a meal.

I have much love for you all, but I am very set in what I want when I want it. I will ask.

Love always,

Jack.

family@allofyou.org

When you put it that way yes we see where you are coming from. This has been a good talk maybe we should do this more often. See you at thanksgiving.

P.S. Would you like anything special?

Love,

The Women in the Family

re: All of the Grandmothers, aunts, and mothers in the family pay attention.

family@allofyou.org

Just cook, I will eat. >;(

Sincerely,

Jack

Dear Editors at Teen Ink.

Please consider the attached piece, "It's Time", for your journal.

I am a student at Salem State University, with hopes to pursue a career in journalism.

Sincerely,

Jack M