What is Life? | Teen Ink

What is Life?

By Teddygat0r BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Teddygat0r BRONZE, Cupertino, California

We are alive.  Yes, we are.  But what is life?

Deep down inside, we are all made up of tiny bits and pieces, known as cells.  These cells don't do much by themselves, but together, they form us.  Humans.  But inside cells, we have organelles.  These organelles do all the functions of the cell.  When the cell needs to eat, it is coordinated together by these tiny dead parts.  And if you go on further, you'll find out that these organelles are then made from molecules.  Smaller and smaller you can go, and then you reach these bits of matter called protons, neutrons, and electrons.  But wait, these same bits of matter form everything from rocks to water to air.  We do not consider these to be alive.  But if deep down we are all made from the same thing, what do we define to be life?  Is life the infinitely list of complex chemical reactions going on in your body?  Why are we considered "alive" when other bits of matter made from the same things aren't.  Aren't we technically "dead" because we are made up of dead things?

What makes a person alive, and a rock dead?

I was watching a youtube video about what is our conscience is.  It was then when I started thinking about what makes us different from mice, bugs, rocks, or dirt.  If we're all made up of the same things, what allows us to act differently from them?