College a True Struggle | Teen Ink

College a True Struggle

October 10, 2018
By katrina_soccer BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
katrina_soccer BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

College was supposed to be this time of trying new exciting things, like making friends, living with a random person, and my personal favorite: indulging in what you want. No more mom making me eat my vegetables, those day are over and done for. Now considering I was so excited I got to campus a week early was a little much, but I was ready and thriving. Made friends with a squirrel Steve, even got to meet his wife and kids.

    Once move in day began I couldn't wait to meet my roommate. We had emailed a bit, but she wasn't a good communicator, she often failed to answer me, but it fine it’s not like I really cared. I raced for my dorm room pushing everyone out of my way because I was on a mission to get the better bed. The elevator beeped and the doors opened the smell of sweat, perfume and self loathing was hitting me like a wave and I knew... I was home. I walked out of the elevator and waved to my fellows floor friends. The college experience was officially starting and I couldn't wait. I waited and waited for my roommate, but she never came. Like I called the office to see if she was late, but all they said was enjoy your room you're alone and hung up. I mean that meant I could blask Lil Xan in my room at anytime.

    A couple of weeks had gone by and adjusting to college life was hard, so many things changed that at times just too much to handle. I still had rush to look toward to; I couldn't wait to pay so much just for some friends, but who was I kidding, I was beyond excited for the process to begin. You would think rush was fast paced, hence the name, but it wasn't; it was a week long process that left me beyond drained each night. As the week came to a close and girls were picking their homes for the rest of their lives it hit me that I in fact very stressed out and I wasn't living my best life.  I mean this whole wearing heels and acting like im having a good time when my feet feel as if they are about to fall off isn't me.

    Even though rush wasn't what I thought it would be I still joined a sorority, I mean I didn't go through that week just to come out empty handed, I deserved all the free shirts I would be receiving. I was officially a Delta Gamma girl yee haw. The stress of being of a Latin major and being a new sorority was really getting to me. Steve the squirrel dippied on our dinner plans and I just don't know what to do with myself.

    I ran back to my dorm after a long hard day of Latin studies and cracked open my laptop. My email flashed and I had to see what was inside. I opened it up and it was an email from Zeta Beta Tau, they had invited a party. Usually they only invited the zeta girls and I hadn't made the cut...i’m not bitter. I had to get the cutest outfit made my super high waisted shorts that shows the world everything, and my new favorite crop top.

    The party day had finally arrived and I was ready to shake what my momma gave me. The party wasn't until super late because college life, but I was ready by 5pm. I walked over to the student union to kill some time, only to find out they were having an auction of Lil Xan’s flamin hot cheetos. I stood there for a second and thought maybe the party wasn't worth it because this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. It took me a few minutes, but I came to the conclusion that Lil Xan was worth it; I got to the auction right as they began calling out prices. I grabbed a paddle and pushed my way past so really sweaty people and made my way to the front. As the number began to get higher it was this girl and me going head to head for the cheetos, I wasn't giving up it just wasn't like me. This girl would not stop bidding!! I had to stop I didn't even have $10 let alone $4,000. I put my paddle up the last time and the girl screamed with a new and bigger number. I was out my life was over.

    The next few minutes seemed to go in slow motion; the girl ran up the stage and poured the cheetos in her mouth. I took the paddle in my hand and throw it at the girl with all of my might. The police came and I was baker acted. On that day I learned a few things, but all I really took and put in my life was that next time going to a party would have been a better idea.