3333 | Teen Ink

3333

February 17, 2009
By walker reiss BRONZE, Chappaqua, New York
walker reiss BRONZE, Chappaqua, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The year was 3333, and things just were not the same. Now, the surface of the Earth was a raw desert, with boiling craters erupting like old sores. Michael, who was called Mikey by all of his friends and relatives, knew all about the climate change. He knew that there was no countryside, and that everyone was relocated into cities that were covered by giant domes, so the toxic atmosphere would not eat away the building material. Mikey, for one, hated these cities. He hated that the air just hung heavily, like a rather lethargic two-toed sloth, which, by now, were extinct with all of the other mammals. He also hated the irony that humans, the ones to wreck the planet and make it uninhabitable, should be the only ones to survive, along with cockroaches and mice and mosquitoes. He also hated that his former home, in a beautiful patch of countryside, was now just a junkyard for the waste of the cities. When he and his family had been ordered into the city along with all of the other people living in the countryside, he could not bear to look at what his home had become as his family, and all of the other countryside people were moved towards the cities in giant, smog-spewing busses. The whole transition had been very difficult for him and his family, and on the 49th day of living in a small, cramped apartment in a place once called Los Angeles, the order had finally come. The whole planet had been declared a state of emergency for around one year, seven months, sixteen days, 4 hours, and fifty-four minutes, (Mikey had a continuous count in his head) it was just now that the government had started to take action. Government order 1,034,296 went forward: the planet was to be fully evacuated.

Now, Mikey was sad and hopeful at the same time. He was sad that he could only take ten things with him, but he was hopeful at the same time. Hope for future generations being able to return to earth, and make it habitable again. But, at the same time, he was sad, because past generations had one chance, and the messed it up, and there was no way to turn back the past, but to only prepare for a brighter, greener future.