My name | Teen Ink

My name

By CUlater7S3 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
CUlater7S3 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Never argue with stupid people, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

My name is a common name. It’s a name that isn’t special in any sense of the word; it isn’t interesting nor does it roll off the tongue very well. It comes from a word meaning hollow and while it fits the name itself, it doesn’t fit me.

I got stuck with a name I wasn’t even supposed to have. It was the second choice that by some miracle won the top slot. It doesn’t feel right to me, it feels like it’s depicting me as something I’m not.

As for my last name, well, that too should have lost. Even though it’s unique it’s not uniquely me. An abnormal name, a dying name that sounds strange across the tongue when spoken.

Logan Bratonja, a strange mix of exotic and common. It’s confusing in that sense, not one thing but at the same time not another. Even if others get used to it I never will, granted I’m the one that’s forced to live with it.

If only I was what I was supposed to be; Mikhail Pakula, infinitely more intriguing to me than my real name, what I wouldn’t give to carry it instead.