Silence | Teen Ink

Silence

September 11, 2018
By katelynjaime BRONZE, Hawthorne, New York
katelynjaime BRONZE, Hawthorne, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The sun burns onto my back, with its last rays of fire, indicating that it will soon set and the warm weather will be no longer. Laughter emerges from the mouths of my family, sitting and talking at the table; these sounds were almost inaudible over the booming syllables on the radio. I sit on a chair on the outskirts and watch as a swing creaks back and forth with the tempo of the wind, as if someone is sitting upon it, but no one is. The sun is practically gone now and the gusts of wind in the night air are comforting as the dark and stars take over the once illuminated sky. My thin jacket clings to me with the wind, causing me to shiver. The music is halted for a brief moment as one melody is replaced by another with a similar, upbeat tune, and, during this moment, all talking seems to cease along with the music. The only sound is the monotonous swaying of the swing, mimicking a clock with the ticking of time. The brief moment of silence is accompanied by  a new warmth found with my family around me. The music resumes, more distant and subtle this time. With the music arrives a new wave of conversation and laughter. Light emerges from the lamps stationed around the table and I look up to witness boisterous talking. I see my cousin shift her chair to the right and gesture toward me. Her mouth begins to move and produce the words: “Come sit with us”.


The author's comments:

This piece represents the closeness and warmth associated with family. I wrote this piece to express the pleasure felt when surrounded by the people I love.