The Legend of a Normal Person | Teen Ink

The Legend of a Normal Person

By Logan_B BRONZE, Beaumont, Texas
Logan_B BRONZE, Beaumont, Texas

Sometime long ago, there was one with the power to eradicate the planet. Complete and utter destruction all within his fingertips. He didn’t ask for these powers, well, he did, but he didn’t actually expect to receive them. He was just a normal teen who wanted to escape normal-ness. He wanted to be labeled as a hero. Someone who people could count on. The only thing people labeled him as is a monster. Who could blame him? He’s killed so many. He only wanted to do right by others, but he couldn’t control his abilities. Oh? What is this 16 year old killer doing right now?  Sleeping peacefully under a tree.
            The forest was filled with vibrant, green, trees that shielded the ground from the shining sun. The sky was a blue so brilliant it would put a Smurf to shame. Under a small tree by a dirt path ,which stretched in either direction, rested a young boy. Sato was his name. Or at least that’s what came to mind, when he asked himself what his name was. He didn’t have any childhood memories of people calling him that, but it felt right, so he just went with it. He was wearing a gray button up short sleeve shirt with a white T-shirt underneath, which fit kind of exact. His Jeans were blue with the little faded design that all of jeans seemed to have on the thighs. On his feet were gray tennis shoes with 3 black stripes that were definitely NOT Adidas. His completion was brown with short, black hair. He started to open his eyes. While his vision tried to adjust to the brightness of the sun. He started get up and stretch. He looked around as if to check and see if he was being unknowingly followed, which was impossible, but he had to make sure. His wandering gaze locked eyes with a bear about 15 feet away. “What’s up”, he said as he let out a yawn. “How are yo-”, but before he could finish, the bear started to walk away.  “Hmph… rude”, he commented. Though animals couldn’t understand him. He always felt as though he could understand them. He highly doubted this was something to do with his powers, but what did he know. “Well anyways”, he said as he began to spin with his eyes closed.  “1….2……3”, he stopped and opened his eyes. He was facing in the direction of the dirt path opposite to where he came from. “Guess I’ll go this way”, he smirked. Though I doubt he would’ve gone back in the direction he came from, but who knows. He never could stay in one place for too long. If people found out who he was they’d probably run away or try to kill him. Which he felt was very annoying. “Ok Sato, let’s see what we got.”, he said while enthusiastically swinging his hands back and forth and clapping them in front of him.  He closed his eyes again. This time, a deep inhale followed. His hands were calmly at his sides. Tension started to be felt in his eyes. He exhale, and waited a few seconds with a focused expression. Then he threw his eyes open. His ,normally brown, eyes turned crimson red as he glared into the distance. About 5 miles down the path he saw a small village. This was just one of his many abilities. All of his senses were enhanced, but his sight especially. If he focused hard enough. The very things around him could seem to move in slow motion. His eyes changed back to  natural brown state. “A village huh?, he asked, kind of surprised, “Alright”. He then began to walk. He loved days like this. Everything was always so peacefully. He looked up into the sky and saw a flock of birds flying in the same direction.  “You know what?, he told them, “I think I’ll join you” He didn’t like to fly, well, he loved to, but it attracted to much attention. He liked to cruise in the sky for hours at a time. That was before he was branded a criminal though. He could easily run to the village and get there in under 5 minutes, same with flying, but there was no point. No point in rushing. He didn’t have anywhere he had to be. As he gently started to rise above the tree line. He could see the horizon much better. Cattle grazing in a near field. The birds he was just talking to flying peacefully to the west. He continued to rise until the cows he saw looked like little ants. That meant people who might look up would only see a spec, and probably think it was a bird or something. He stopped his ascent, and headed off toward the village.
         “It doesn’t get any better than this” ,he tells himself as he’s flying through the air. He’s kind of glad he’s an outcast, because he wouldn’t want to give people rides if they asked. He didn’t want flying to end up being a chore. Strangely, he felt as though he used to. “AAARGH!”, he screamed as jolts of pain started to rip through his head as he began to hold it. Losing his focus he shut his eyes and started to free fall. Hazy images of a little girl began to fill his mind. “YOU AGAIN!?”, he complained. As he continued to fall. He opened one eye and  noticed that the ground was getting  awfully close VERY fast. “C’MON POWERS!” ,he exclaimed nervously, “HITTING THE GROUND FROM 40,000 FT IS GOING TO BE VERY ANNOYING!” He continued to try and focus, but the images made it impossible too. “*sigh* damni-” BOOOOM!!  Before he could finish talking. He slammed into the ground creating a huge crater, which knocked him unconscious. The smell of smoke filled his nose. He opened his eyes. A wooden plank was about to greet his face. He used his hand and his flying ability to back flip out of it’s path, but something was off. He couldn’t control the amount of force he used. He flipped so fast he slammed into the wall, sending wood and dust everywhere.“*cough* *cough* where *cough* am I?”, he wondered, “and what’s wrong me?”. He looked around to see where exactly he was. The roof was obviously collapsing. He could see silhouettes of scrolls on the wall behind the smoke, but that was about it. After he realized his surroundings weren’t Ideal if he valued his life. He made out a door way through his watery eyes. He was getting a bad feeling about this. Wherever he was it wasn’t in good shape. Obviously, with the fiery environment and all.  He pried himself out of the wall and headed towards the opening. When he got outside he noticed it wasn’t just that house. The entire village was on fire.  Smoke rose into the moonlit sky and the cracking flames drowned out any cricket that might happen to be in the vicinity. All the villagers were fleeing. Some were screaming and others were crying. Though everything was chaotic. Sato felt as though he knew this place. He couldn’t put his finger on why, but he did. He felt the strange need to protect it from any further danger. Only one thing was mainly on his mind. Who started this? To his left was where people we’re running, so he guessed the culprit was somewhere down the path to his right, so that’s where he headed. He started to run, then all of a sudden. He froze. Overwhelmed fear spread through his body.  What was going on?  He was never scared. He was always on top. Even before he got his powers. Nothing phased him. This on the other hand. This was different. He could feel an overwhelmingly sinister aura wrap around his body. It was as if he was in a cold, dark room. With all of his limps chained to a wall with no room for movement,  and the rusted shackles periodically got tighter and tighter. He knew he had to run. SHHHCK!  “Kckkk!”, Sato sounded as he proceeded to cough up a huge amount of blood. Sato started to stumble forward, but managed to stay on his feet.  He felt tremendous amounts of pain in his right shoulder. Something had been thrown at a very high speed. At a speed high enough that Sato couldn’t sense it’s presence, at all. The pain was hot, sharp, and constantly throbbed. He looked down at his wound to find a black pole with a sharp tip sticking through his body.
          Sato was in trouble. The shock from the pain distracted him from his fear, so he was able to slowly turn around. About 20 feet away he saw something. He couldn’t make out what it was, because all of the smoke everywhere. It was just like in the house. All he could see was a shadow of something, and his vision was still sort of blurry. He wasn’t a coward, but he didn’t want to stay and find out what it was. Since his powers were acting up, he wasn’t sure if he could win. He started to run again, but a scream stopped him. He turned around. The figure was holding something by the neck. It was a girl. THE girl from his visions. Some of the smoke cleared, so he couldn’t see her at first. Whoever she was he had to save her. He felt as though he couldn’t live if that thing were to kill her. As he prepared to rush forward he heard her voice. “No!” ,she cried, “He’ll kill you!” He didn’t care though. She wasn’t going to die if he could do anything to prevent it. Suddenly, blood started gushing from his wound. The pole started to dissolve into black specs. He was loosing a lot of blood, very quickly. His legs started to feel weak, and he feel to his knees. He held his left hand over his injury, and looked up. The two were fading into the smoke. “N…no”, he muttered as he tried to reach toward the girl with his other hand, “H…. Hi…” His blurred vision turned black, and he passed out.“HIYORI!”, Sato screamed as he set up breathing heavily. He looked around and noticed that he was in the crater. “Was that all a dream?”, he questioned scratching his head,  “Wait…” He unbuttoned his top and lifted up his T-shirt. On his right shoulder was a circle shaped scar. “ So it was a memory then, huh?” , he concluded as he proceeded to fix his attire. He needed answers. Like who was Hiyori?  He knows that she has been then girl in his visions, but who,  exactly, was she. She only appeared when he thought about certain things, but never like this. Before he could continue to speculate a voice from above him spoke. “What the hell!?”, it shouted, “Did you just fall out of the sky!?”. Sato looked up to find a old farmer looking man. He wore dirty, blue overalls with an orange and black, checkered long sleeved, shirt underneath them. His hat was made of straw with frayed edges, and his black boots matched his shirt. “Would you believe a noooo…”, Sato asked. He got his answer when the pale old man followed that question by aiming a shotgun at Sato’s head. “Hmmmm”, Sato replied, “I guess not.”