The R1 | Teen Ink

The R1

By alexjm3 BRONZE, Tukwila, Washington
alexjm3 BRONZE, Tukwila, Washington

Little money, lots of problems. There was a kid named Alonso, he was six months out of high school and completely on his own.  Alonso really needs money to pay his rent for his apartment. His job at Fred Meyers doesn’t pay him enough because he's young and just graduated and is going to get kicked out of his apartment if he doesn’t make his payment. He has talked to the owner of the apartment to see if he could extend it but the owner has extended it twice in the past four months. Alonso thinks of an easy way to make money, many thoughts pop into his head but there was only one that made sense to him.

Using his remaining amount of money he had in his bank account, he filled his car up with $10 worth of  regular gas, thanks to Fred Meyer Rewards he had $.40 off each gallon of fuel and nearly filled his car up all the way. Pushing the clutch in on his car and turning the key was routine to Alonso, but it felt different this time because the gas gauge was over half. He popped his stick shift into first gear and drove to Bellevue. Upon arriving, he parked his car far away in a neighborhood 3 miles away just to make sure that there was no chance of him getting caught.

He muttered to himself, “let's do this”.  This was Alonso’s first time. He didn’t want to do this because it didn’t seem right. The tall buildings looked down at him as if they knew what Alonso was about to do. He looked around, looking at each person’s characteristics.

He thinks to himself “Nope he’s to buff, nope she looks too poor”.

After awhile he finds the perfect person. He starts walking towards the man, who was five feet tall and scrawny, but was wearing a suit and walking towards him. Alonso started feeling tense due to his inexperience, as he had only seen this on television. The two of them bumped into each other.
“Sorry”, they both mutter to each other.

Alonso walked away with the wallet and when he walked around the corner he opened it, only to find $800.
“Holy s***!” he almost screams.

Alonso, realizing how much money he had, ran away as fast as he could. There was an immediate feeling of guilt but he had to do it so he wasn’t homeless.  He ran for a mile and then slowed down and got in his car. When he got home to his one bedroom one room apartment, he paid his rent which was $210, put $200 in Bitcoin, and put the rest of the money into his savings account. He decided to put money in Bitcoin because it was getting very popular so he wanted to invest quickly.

Two months later his money in Bitcoin quadrupled. Alonso still needs more money though to make his payment because he wasn’t to wise with his money. Trying to figure out more ways to make money, he decides to get onto Craigslist and buys a Yamaha R1, a motorcycle with nos with his cryptocurrency. He also traded in his car because he didn’t have enough to pay it all. Alonso goes to Kent for the street races. One can almost always count on there being street races at Kent. There is everything at these races from people who build their cars mechanically to people who have wide bodied cars. He challenges everyone wanting to bet money on the street race. After a few street races Alonso has $2,500.

He almost lost all of his money going against a Turbocharged Honda Accord. The other driver got out of his car and started yelling saying:” I would’ve won if my turbo didn’t blow up”.

Alonso asked his name and he said “My name is Enzo”

“Alright Enzo I’m going to give you back half of your money hopefully that will help the car”.

Enzo at that point seemed to calm down and walked away with half of his $1000.

The police showed up and once again busted the races. Looking around there are the colors of freedom; red, white, and blue flashing all around him. Alonso got extremely nervous because he didn’t want to get busted.
“Hey you!” shouts one of the police officers.

Alonso ran around the corner of the gas station and got on his motorcycle and fled from the police. There was no going back from this if he were to stop he would be caught and be put in jail.The police almost had a chance of getting him initially but police cars now are outdated and top out at slow speeds compared to motorcycles. After riding for three-and-a-half miles, he got on I-5 and kept speeding all the way home. When he looked down at his speedometer he suddenly froze up. Alonso was going 160mph. Alonso keeps going to the top of his speedometer, it was at this point he felt more at peace than he ever had. He looks around him and everything is a blur. He was flying past so many people that he felt as if he was in a time lapse. As he’s swerving lanes he realizes that this was the fastest he ever went on the ground.

He parks his motorcycle at his apartment complex and goes up to his apartment. Once he’s inside he counts his money again, still all $2,000 was there. The next morning he pays his rent, puts some more money in Bitcoin and keeps the rest.  Tonight was successful for Alonso and he will continue to street race to make sure he doesn’t miss a payment.

Now that he has money he has less to worry about but a dark shadow of his past overlays him.

It started out as a small assignment due for my english class and then I kept writing beyond the assignment