Immigration Narrative | Teen Ink

Immigration Narrative

By gerisk.her BRONZE, Sacramento, California
gerisk.her BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Sun Shines a Brighter Day

“Vamonos ese, casi estámos allí”
“I don’t think I can make it aye, this is too much and I'm low on energy”
“We’re in this together vato. I already lost Carlos, I can’t lose you too man.”
“I’ll try homes, but be prepared to leave me behind if I slow you down. Bueno?”
“Let’s just keep going mano”

A stormy Tuesday night has 3 close friends; Hiram, Mauricio, and Carlos, brothers almost, locked indoors with nothing to do but talk. With many discussions coming up, the one they stuck with. Coming to El Norte..

Man this guy is crazy, I think to myself. As crazy as it is, we actually committed to it. The next morning we bought our way into getting information about the safest way to get over the border. It was the safest yet, the most nastiest way to do so.

Once night struck, we’ve already had all of our things ready
  “Do you think we should really do this man?”
      “We’re here, no going back vato”

At exactly 10 at night, with no Coyote, we make our way down to the sewers and crawl and endless mile of filthy, grimy murky, smelly dark tunnel that has not seen light ever since it was made.

It took about 103 miles of pure pitch black darkness. The scariest nastiest part of it all, was when we got raided by a bunch of hungry diseased rats for about 5 minutes. Saddest part was when we lost Carlos and couldn’t go back. He was eaten dead by the rats after he opened his mouth and about 2 got into his mouth. After that it was a whole course meal for the rats.

“You see that mano? It’s the light!” I screamed in joy
“Yea man, we made it man, we actually made it” with tears Mauricio replied.

Approximately 4 months later, we settled in the city of Los Angeles. With me and Mauricio living together splitting rent. Both of us are on minimum wage jobs, still just hoping for a better life, but as long as the sun keeps shining, I’ll keep trying.  My name is Hiram Martinez and this is my story

made up story about immigration