The Hit | Teen Ink

The Hit

January 22, 2018
By I.y.zeyben BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts
I.y.zeyben BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

SHEA
————


“Shea! Are you up yet?” Susan’s call echoed up the stairs. Sweating, gasping, struggling, I stumbled out of bed. My carpet lay scattered, as always, and the strangest usual, was that the curtains were swaying in the wind from the open window. I trudged over to the panel and closed it with a swish of the blinds. I gathered my clothes from of the floor, and straightened out my carpet as I exited my sky blue room. I liked this room. It had a fuzzy white carpet, the blinds were perfectly placed, the curtains were light and silky, the fan on the ceiling whirred quietly when it was on  and the whole room made me feel like I was in the clouds. I sighed, letting out an excessive amount of air, and I trudged into the bathroom. I took a look in the mirror. My long dirty blonde hair was a mess, I forgot to take my retainer out, and I just looked plain gross. With mascara running down my cheeks I took a slow, sleepy shower. The humidity of the bathroom increased to an alarming amount, with almost enough water in the air to keep me from breathing. I turned off the faucet and got ready to go, putting black leggings on my long legs, a tank top, a rain jacket from Sadie (which was all the rage right now), and my big purple hunter boots. I also put on the necklace that Blake had given me, just as a special touch. I arrived in the kitchen, promptly greeted by the smell of warm toast.


“Eat up quick, or you’ll be late for school” Susan said. “And remember, after school you are going to track. Do not forget…”


“Ughh I will not forget this time Susie, I promise,” I say, cutting her off. I was part of the highland track team. I was a very good runner, fast, and definitely the best on the team. Everyone cheered for me at the meets, and I was known throughout the highlands for my sprints. The one thing that I tended not to do was go to practice. I never liked running, unless I had to. Susan got mad when I skipped track practice, but today like any other day, I wasn’t planning on going. Today was going to be a good day. I was going to the park with Theo after classes, and even though Susan wouldn’t serve me dinner I still wasn’t planning on going to track. After I finished my toast, which was smothered in Nutella just the way I like it, I filled my small yellow rucksack with my schoolwork.


“Thank you Susan!” I called as I stepped out the door, it swinging shut behind me. As I walked down the front path of 18 Willows Avenue, I was greeted by a fast pacing Blake, who had a muffin in hand for me. “More baked goods?” I asked, wondering why he brought me things often.


“Uhh... I um, just don’t know what to do with all the muffins we have in our house from my sisters bake sale, so I thought maybe you’d like some?” He said, looking down at his feet and then past me.


“You know me too well… I guess I’ll just have to oblige your offer and suffer through this revolting banana muffin…” he chuckled as I took the muffin, which I thoroughly enjoyed every last bite of.


“So, did you watch the Bucks game last night?” Blake asked nervously. He’d been trying to get me to watch football ever since he started playing, but I still just don’t get the game.


“I don't know why you guys even bother with that wack game. All you do is throw some oval ball, and tackle people. That causes serious injuries!” He laughed.


“Well if you could just wrap your head around the concept, and get that there is a point in the game, and that no, you are not just hurting other people then… did you even watch the game?”


“Nah, did you watch America’s Next Top Model like I told you to?”


“Why do our even watch that show? You're Just looking at starved  blondies strutting down a path with basically nothing on. Not much to see, literally.”


“Well first of all they aren’t all blonde, next it’s called a runway, and third do you see my point now?” We both laughed, arriving at the school front. Classes went on  throughout the day, and time ticked by as I waited for the last bell to ring, for the last lesson to finish, for tons people to flood out of the school, and for Theo to walk me to the park.


“And students, that is why E=MC squared is equivalent to…” the shrill bell cut Mr. Dileos torturous lecture in half, and I jumped out of my seat to run to my locker. For the second time that day I packed my yellow bag, but this time I found a small note. It read, ‘Shea, meet you at the park. -B’  I slammed my locker door shut, startling the people next to me, and dashed out the front doors of the school. I knew it was a risk to take Caroline street since it was almost like highway, in that it had no crosswalks, much debri, and many speeding cars. I took the chance anyway. Caroline street was my fastest way to the park. As I ran down Caroline street speeding cars flung by me. I thought of how pissed Susan would be if she knew that I had taken the most dangerous street in the highlands. My oversized boots clumsily led me to the curb, I looked both ways watching for cars but the lane was clear. I shot across the lane just like I do when the gunshot is fired at track meets. I halted on the yellow line just as two cars passed by me, coming faster than I had expected. I was sandwiched in between the two cars, my nose and my heels an inch away from each one. My hair scattered through the air, everywhere all at once. The cars passed, each of them honking at me because nobody was used to seeing crazy teenage girls in the middle of Caroline street. I looked back at the curb, knowing it was where I should have stayed and longing to be there. As I shifted slightly to the left, I saw a startling flinch in my peripheral vision. I quickly looked back to where I came from. Standing in the Bushes, leaves and trees blocking her from view, was a tall, skinny, long legged girl like me. She had long chestnut colored hair, and large dark brown eyes. She was staring straight at me, observing me, looking through my eyes and into my thoughts. As fast as the moment had came, it left, and I was left staring at the curb, the girl disappearing from her place in the trees. As I turned back I felt something tangling with my hair, almost taunting it. My star necklace flew off and into the road. The girl had vanished from my mind as fast as she had vanished from the woods, and I went chasing after the necklace, my mind only set on getting my it back from the wind. I stopped for a moment to catch my breath, but it was too late. The shiny glint in the road had caught my eye, and i was already grabbing for it.

 

BLAKE
————
I woke up with a start, to the sound of my alarm ringing. It was shrill and high and as I rolled over to smack my hand down on the stop button, I rolled straight off my bed. “Arggggg… it’s gonna be a rough day” I mumbled to myself, taking my head in my hands and stumbling to my knees. I shut the blaring alarm off when my two year old sister appeared in the doorway.


“Baakeeee! You're up!” Soul waddled over to where I had rolled of the bed, and put her arms out. “Up! Up! Up pease!” She pleaded. Soul hadn’t learned to to pronounce her L sounds yet. My parents and her teachers had been worried about this, they thought it was some kind of speech impairment. I know better than to believe that. She was still two years old, and who would want to pronounce letters? L stands for Learn, and Lose ( nobody likes those), it’s right in the middle of the alphabet, it’s annoying as he… whatever, nevermind. The point is most kids can’t speak full sentences at age 2, so soul is ahead, no matter what they may think.
“Soul, you are just too adorable to deny…” I exclaimed as I picked her up off the floor. I carried her slowly, pacing back and forth in my dark colored room. “Oh god. Soul time just flies by when I’m with you. It’s already 7:00! I have to go! Go get mommy and make sure you eat up before you leave. I’ll see you at 4:00!”


“Ok Baakeeee! I ove youuu” she said as she strolled out of the room, her eyes on me.


“I love you too silly soulie!” she giggled as she exited my room and ran down the stairs to eat her fruit loops. Since I was on a crunch for time, I decided I wouldn’t take another shower, as I had taken one last night after football practice. I pulled on my nice shorts and a Shirt and raced into the bathroom to brush my teeth. And yes, I am the kind of guy that brushes his teeth before eating breakfast. I combed my hair quickly and then raced downstairs to eat a banana before I left for my terrible day to come. The only reason I knew that this day would be terrible, was because I was breaking up with Shea today. Shea was a sweet, beautiful girl, and I did really like her, just... not anymore. Lately she’s been really snobby and judgmental, not the way she normally is with anyone. I just don’t know how to break up with her. I already told her that I would meet her at the park, and she got all excited. “This is going to be the last thing she’s expecting…” I mumbled to myself, running my fingers through my hair. I packed my navy blue rucksack and grabbed a muffin from souls bake sale to eat on the way to school. “Bye mom, see ya later soul!” I yelled into the house as I shut the door and followed the steps leading to the edge of the street. I noted that I’d have to pick up my pace as I passed Shea’s house. My strategy was to avoid her as much as I could until this afternoon, when the time came. I walked past 4 streets before it was time for me to start speeding up. I turned my slow steps into quicker strides as I gained on Shea’s house. I thought I was going to make it, I really did, but it was just my fantastic luck that decided to shine upon me. As I was just passing Shea’s house, the huge, red front door opened only to reveal Shea. I didn’t want her to feel bad so I turned my fast walking into a back and forth pace because I knew she had already seen me. I ran one hand through my hair and started to unwrap the muffin in my hand so I could eat it when Shea approached me.


“More baked goods?” She commented as she stepped off of the path leading to her house. I was so close to my plan working, but no, and now I had to  cover.


“Uhh, I um…” I stuttered. “...Just don’t know what to do with all the muffins we have in our house from my sisters bake sale, so I thought maybe you’d like some?” I said, looking down at my feet to avoid eye contact, then staring past her to a tree just over her left shoulder.


“You know me too well… I guess I’ll just have to oblige your offer and suffer through this revolting banana muffin…” ugh, she’s actually taking it! I wanted that muffin so badly… not everything’s about her, it’s not like the world revolves around her or anything… I thought, laughing to fill the space as she chowed on my muffin.
“So, did you watch the Bucks game last night?” I asked nervously, trying to make conversation.


“I don't know why you guys even bother with that wack game” she said, her mouth still full of muffin. “All you do is throw some oval ball, and tackle people. That causes serious injuries!” No way, that’s not all you do in football- football is such a hard sport! God damnit, you try it! As I pictured Shea playing football, stumbling all around the field in her boots and preppy ponytail, I let a small snort slip from my throat.


“Well if you could just wrap your head around the concept, and get that there is a point in the game, and that no, you are not just hurting other people then…” don’t take it too far dude don’t get angry, it’s just a conversation I told myself. “did you even watch the game?” I said, deciding I wouldn’t go off on her for being too self-centered


“Nah, did you watch America’s Next Top Model like I told you to?” What the… Gross. Disgusting. Who watches that show? One day she’s going to end up just like those shiny twigs on that show and I’ll be laughing I spoke to myself.


“Why do you even watch that show? You're just looking at starved blondies strutting down a path with basically nothing on. Not much to see, literally.” I said, rolling my eyes (which i don’t think she saw, thank god)
“Well first of all they aren’t all blonde, next it’s called a runway, and third do you see my point now?” No, of course I don’t see you damn point. I stayed silent as we walked toward highlands high school. Classes went on throughout the day, and I almost forgot about what I was doing after school. Almost. But almost doesn't count. I came to the conclusion I couldn’t handle walking to the park with her, so I’d meet her there. As I was walking to history, my last class of the day, I stopped at her locker. Shea, I’ll meet you at the park, -B, I wrote on the lined slip of paper torn carelessly from my chemistry book. Mazzeo was walking down the Hall, coming towards me. Mazzeo is my best friend, he has been since kindergarten. He knew me the best, and he knew what I was doing today. I slipped the note into her locker, and caught up with him to arrive at history.


“Hey dude, what’s up?” Mazzeo said as we met. We pulled into our normal handshake with a hit on the back.
“Not much, you?”


“Yeah not much with me either. Do you know how Shea’s gonna take the news yet? He asked curiously.
“not so sure yet, but my guess is she won’t take it well considering her personality...” we both made fun of that because we both knew it was true. “How do you think Perry will be?” I asked him. We’re both breaking up with our girlfriends today. We decided to experience the rough day together. That’s what we do, what best friends are for; To be low together, and then pick each other up.


“I can imagine she will take it a little better than Shea will. I mean dude, you’ve really got it rough with that one.” He said chuckling to himself.


“I know, but lucky you, you get to have me all to yourself one this is over. Now that we are both forever alone (and for sure since we’ve dumped the two most popular girls in school) we can hang whenever.”


“Oh yeah, battleship time boy” he said and we both laughed as we headed into history. The clock ticked on and we all rushed through our assignments, hoping to have no homework.


“Students tomorrow is another day, let’s try harder then, ok? No homework for…” the bell cut into Ms. Myers  last words of the day. Mazzeo shot me a look of sorrow and annoyance, and then mouthed words. It was something like “talk me once done, battleship at my house?”. I gave a big thumbs up and a huge grin. I gathered my things from my locker, and started towards the park, taking the roads I knew. I stalled on Leather way, then I took a left on Hilltop Avenue, and descended down Fenster Road. I arrived at the park, wondering where Shea was. She usually took the same way that I had gone, but today she wasn’t there. I guess she took a different road today I thought as I set down my rucksack and sat on the grassy ground to wait.

 

SHEA
————
The blood red Ford pierced my side. My right set of ribs caved and I was thrown into the air. Gravity pulling me to the ground fast and violently, I crashed to the earth only to meet sharp glass from the car in my left side and stomach. Blood splattered the ground and my head pounded as the driver pulled his door shut and skidded away, smashing my wrist under the the heavy rubber tire. I tried to yell, but an unconscious state took over my body.

 

BLAKE
————
“Yeah, it’s been half an hour and she’s still not here. You think she blew me off? Did anyone tell her? You’re the only one that knows and I trust you wouldn’t tell anyone”


“Dude I promise I didn’t tell anyone. Maybe wait her out 5 more minutes?”


“No, I can’t. I just can’t. I said the same thing 5 minutes ago, and the 5 minutes before that.” As the phone grew sweaty in my hot grip, I hear the screech of rubber on concrete, and the slam of a car door. “Let me call you back Maz… I think there was a crash on Caroline. I just want to see if I can help or anything.” I said speedily, suddenly not wanting to talk, curiosity overtaking me. I felt like I was being pulled to the curb.
“Ok dude, I’ll call you later” I hung up fast. I gathered my things and started on the jog to Caroline street. Caroline street was an unsafe street. If I’m being completely honest, it’s basically a highway. It’s got all the lanes and the metal rails to make it look like one, and just enough speeding cars to make it seem like one. As I reached the edge of the park, I saw some debri on the other side of the rail. I quickly ran across three lanes. The whole street was completely empty, just me and the debri. I could’ve rolled across the lanes, or crossed at the speed of a sloth if I wanted to, because there was no one in sight from left to right. When I approached the scattered car parts, I saw a hub cap, metal, and tons of red shaded shattered glass scattering the pavement. Huh, I’ve never seen red glass on a car before, maybe it was for shading? Yeah that’s it… wait… My head started to feel dizzy, my brain scattered with questions and thoughts. The red glass was not for light protection. Oh god. I think I might faint. In the corner of my eye, something was trickling. I tilted my head slightly right and saw the source of the red coloring. There was a large pool of blood on the pavement. Too much for an animal. It was human blood. Before I knew it, I was out. I could only imagine whose blood that was, and the thought scared me to hell. But wait, just as I collapsed onto the rusty metal rail, I recognized a flinch in my peripheral vision.  Standing in the Bushes, leaves and trees blocking her from view, was a tall, skinny, long legged girl,  a bit like Shea. She had long chestnut colored hair, and large dark brown eyes. From what I could see, she was carrying another girl. Another long legged, skinny girl. The only difference between the two was that she had long, dirty blonde hair.

 

BLISS
————
“The situation is bad Matt” I spoke into my watch.


“How do you mean, how much damage is done?” Matt questioned, sounding concerned.


“A lot. Her right ribs are all crushed, leaving her whole right torso crumbled. Her wrist is flat, it was run over and the bone is shattered. Her face is scratched up, but actually, that looks kinda cool” I informed Matt.


“Leave the cool parts out of this bliss,” I knew that Matt was pacing back and forth and rubbing his forehead, even though he was thousands of miles away from me. “Ok, well I’ve gotta go, boss wants me in his office.” Matt clicked off his watch and I did my job.


“Shea, are you up yet?”


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece because i wanted to create a fictional writing that wasn’t interesting and left the reader wondering.