A Stronger Bond | Teen Ink

A Stronger Bond

By chappy1 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
chappy1 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California

As the summer days drifted away, school began and fall came. Everyone was wearing their cute sweaters and UGG Boots while drinking hot chocolate or a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. Every girl had their hair curled or in a cute braid. They all wore leggings with side pockets, just the perfect spot to put their phone. However, I didn’t fit into this mold I’m different a lot different. Let me introduce myself. Hi, my name is Alyssa, I’m 17 years old and I’m in my senior year of high school.
Now I know what you're thinking, “Oh she is just like those girls.” Sorry to disappoint you, but I’m not. I'm more of a jeans and sweatshirt kind of girl. I don't wear sweaters. In fact, I wear one of my brother’s old sweatshirts that he left behind. I mean sure, I drink Starbucks, but not everyday.
Everyday I carpool with my best friend Kass. We rock out to the best music of today and sing at the top of our lungs. While we travel in my pimped out white jeep. I got my car on my 16th birthday when my parents pulled up this white jeep with no doors, huge tires, and a customized license plate that says CHAPIS1. That is the exact car I have wanted since I was 13 years old.
Everything was perfect until one tragic Monday morning. On our way to school, Kass was sitting in the passenger seat and we were in the left turn lane. The light was green so both sides of the road were going and out of the corner of my eye I saw this car  going straight. I had a terrible feeling and then “CRASH!” It ran right into us going full speed. Kass was hurt badly and I was devastated. She is my best friend and all I could think about is this is all my fault. My car was wrecked, but I didn’t care. All I cared about was getting Kass to the Hospital. I don’t even remember who called 9-1-1, but the fireman and the ambulance just appeared out of nowhere.
As soon as we got there she was put on a gurney and rushed away. I was a nervous reck. I knew that I had to call her parents to tell them to meet me at the hospital. After I called her parents I called mine. I was prepared to be yelled at, but they didn’t yell they were just worried. As soon as they arrived I got the news that Kass had a broken collarbone and she had to go into surgery to get the glass out of her face. While she was in surgery I showed my dad a picture of my car. He was so upset because it was wrecked.
I didn’t end up going to school that day and I didn’t sleep much that night. Kass was fine, but she wasn’t at school for at over a week. We never took that route again and we never listened to that song.
The accident made it way around school and that’s all people were talking about. People were upset with me and thought that it was all my fault and saying that I did it on purpose, but that wasn’t true. Even the boy I liked turned on me and wasn’t talking to me. He wouldn’t notice me in the hall. I texted him and he didn’t reply. I just decided to move on.
When Kass came back from her recovery I was thrilled because everything was back to normal. I had my best friend and I learned to cherish her more. After a month my car was fixed and Kass was back riding with me. We never took that route again and we never listened to that song.