Someone is at the Door | Teen Ink

Someone is at the Door

By AmberA. SILVER, Rixeyville, Virginia
AmberA. SILVER, Rixeyville, Virginia

It’s Halloween night and to add to that, I’m home alone. I don’t like Halloween in any sense; the creepy costumes, haunted houses, and gory decorations, they only manage to disgust me. Certainly I’m dreading tomorrow from ever coming, the only reason I want it to come is so it can hurry up and leave. My anxious nerves feel slightly calmed as I sit on the couch in the living room after checking that the door is locked. After watching a couple movies, I begin to drift off. Suddenly I hear a sound at the door. I panic and try to gain a little more control. With a rapidly increased heart rate, I somehow manage to get up from the couch.
“It's just the mailman” I tell myself, “or somebody’s lost cat”. I hesitate at the handle, but soon muster up just enough courage to shakily grab it and yank open the door. It’s pitch black outside beside the faint, sickly yellow of the porch light. What I see on the other side of the door terrifies me to the core, I’m frozen, I never believed that they existed, but how could I deny it now with one staring right at me.
The giant beast hurdles towards the door, I slam the door shut and fumble with the lock, screaming the entire time. As I take in another breath before screaming, I expect to hear more noise from the other side, which I do, but it’s not what I thought it would be. I hear a faint “ow” as I take a step back from the door. Confused, I carefully unlock the bolts and cautiously crack open the door, just a sliver, enough to see the mass of fur cradling its head. Although his head is no longer covered in fur. Out of the corner of my eye I see the furry mask that used to cover the so called “werewolf’s” head. I kick the person over so I can see their face, by the shine of the porch light I see the obnoxious face of my older brother, twisted in pain.