Ben's Dangerous Hunts | Teen Ink

Ben's Dangerous Hunts

By Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
Sagerebel18 SILVER, Salem, Oregon

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Michael Jordan

Ben has been running for the last 20 minutes out in the Alaskan tundra.  What he is running from is unknown for right  now.  All he knows is something has been chasing him.  The only weapons he has is a hunting knife and a pistol with one bullet in the chamber.  He finally hears something big break through the brush not 10 yards behind him, and from the sound of its breathing it doesn't sound happy.  He takes a quick glance over his shoulder only to see in dismay a full grown kodiak brown bear chasing him.  At this moment he realises that he is done for if he doesn’t think fast.

Everything suddenly goes dark, but only for a second.  The next thing he knows he’s standing in a dark cave.  The smell of death is overbearing, and bones litter the ground.  He suddenly felt uneasy and the hair on the back of his neck stood up.  He felt as though he was being watched from the shadows.  A roar echoed out from somewhere inside the cave.  At that moment he knew that he stood inside a lion's den.  He felt something in his hand.  With cautious strokes he felt a machete blade in his hand, but it was dull.  He saw a dark shadow moving through the cave, the yellow eyes pierced Ben's soul.  It was a rare black lion, and within a blink of an eye it pounced toward Ben.  Immediately Ben ducked out of fear, and began waiting for the worst to happen.

He opens his eyes to see himself in a humid South American jungle.  This time he has companions named Ivan and Mark.  They have been sent on a mission to take down a Jaguar that has been terrorizing a small village that lies two miles from the Amazon river.  When they finally pick up the tracks of the beast, they see it is heading west toward the village.  An hour later they find themselves standing at the base of a giant tree.  All three pull the 30-06s of their shoulders.  They could feel the big cats presence near.  A loud scream bellows out 10 feet behind and above them.  Ben turns around to see the big black beast reaching out to kill him.

As he brings his rifle up to shoot he blinks and is now standing in Colorado bowhunting for mule deer. Ben spots a nice buck across the ravine lying underneath some rim rock.  Not 30 minutes later he's drawn back 30 yards away from the bedded buck, but he has a weird feeling, a feeling like he’s being watched.  He shoots and pin wheels the buck.  As he was getting up to claim his trophy; something heavy lands on top of him.  He’s pinned on the ground face to face with a cougar.  He immediately began dodging the large cats paws.  The beast had a shot at Ben's throat, as he was bringing his jaws down Ben shoved his fist down the cat's throat.  The cougar backed off, but only for a second.  As man and beast were brutally clashing, Ben passed out.

When he comes to, he is still lying in Colorado.  It is late evening and it's getting dark.  The cougar is bedded 30 yards away feeding on Ben’s buck.  At that moment he remembers he has a military issued 9mm on his person.  He went to grab it but he couldn’t move his right-arm; it's broken.  He grabs his pistol with his left-hand, the clip holds nine rounds in it.  He took careful aim and is just about to shoot when he catches movement on the rim rock above him.  He looks up to see eyes like the moon staring right into his soul.  He swings his gun around.  BANG!  The cat fell of the rim dead.  Ben gets up off the ground just as the second cougar pounces.  He brings his gun up just in time to send the brass right through the skull of the beast.  The cougar lands dead an arms length away.  He grabs his his phone and sends an S.O.S signal out to Search and Rescue.  When they find Ben he has passed out once again and is laying on top the first cougar he shot.

BANG! He missed, the odds of missing a target from that close is very unlikely.  The large Jag bowled over ben and jumped back up into the giant tree.  WHAM!  Something hit the ground in front of them.  When they examine what fell they see that it's a Jaguar kill, but it’s not an animal.  It’s a corpse of a human, and it's fresh. A loud scream of pain echoed out through the jungle.  Ben and Ivan whip around to see Mark on the ground dead and being drug off by the black beast.  Ivan shot wounding the cat, and within a blink of an eye Ivan lay dead on the ground.  It felt like the whole world rested on Ben’s shoulders now.  The cat turned around and pounced but fell over dead. Ivans bullet took its toll.  Now not only did the Black Beast lay dead but both Mark and Ivan are now dead as well.   Ben fell to his knees in pain and agony.  Everything goes dark, and when he opens his he’s standing inside the lion's den.

Death is staring right through his soul.  With his blunt machete his only hope now is his strength.  The black shadow leaps and is on a direct path toward Ben. He ducks out of fear waiting for the worst to happen to him.  The lion missed and whips around for round two.  Ben feels a deep rising courage, and sees he's lighting up the cave.  But...How?  As he looks around he sees the cave is littered with human corpses and skeletons.  He no longer held a blunt machete, but now held a sword that was sharper than any double edged sword.  The lion cringed at the light and charged with a goal to overcome the light.  Man and beast collided in a heated battle.  The lion took at a shot at Ben’s face but broke its claws on the bronze helmet that covered it.  Ben’s sword immediately came down on the beast's neck decapitating the man eater.  Then the cave went dark.

Ben has ben running from a giant kodiak brown bear for the last 25 minutes.  The bear surprisingly hasn’t been gaining distance on Ben.  Or at least that's what Ben thinks. The next thing you know the beast is breathing down Ben's neck, and Ben knew he had to think fast.  The bear swatted at Ben's legs tripping him and sending him flying across the tundra.  The blow broke Ben’s right leg and broke his left ankle. Ben pulls his gun out and takes aim at the head that was the size of four official size basketballs.  BLAM!  The bullet glanced off the beast’s head.  His only hope now was to aim for the throat of the bear with his hunting knife.  The bear was now on top of Ben and brought his paw up to end Ben’s life.

GASP!  Ben woke up from the nightmare as the bear had brought his giant paw across Ben’s face.  Ben had one more day to hunt moose in the Alaskan tundra.  He got dressed, packed his gear, and headed out for the last hunt of the year.  Luckily that was just a dream he thought to himself.  Or was it?