Let Me Go | Teen Ink

Let Me Go

By ZerinaJ BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah
ZerinaJ BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah

I woke up to a noise I had heard before. A noise that had haunted my nightmares since I was a little girl. A noise that brought terror to every person in my village. A noise that stirred memories of my parent’s death.
A wolf’s howl.
I frantically sat up in my bedroll. Where is Jonas? Where is Jonas? The same thought pounded in my head. He wasn’t in the blankets on the mat next to me. He knows better than to go out on a full moon!
Jumping onto my feet, I grabbed the knife from it’s sheath on my belt. I opened the flap of the tent, then ran into the center of the village.
My jaw dropped at what was in the clearing. A seven-feet-tall white wolf with a large scar on its muzzle was standing over Jonas. My brother was carrying our uncle’s large sword, with a blade of iron and a hilt made from the hide of his first buck.
Jonas was trying to get a stab at the wolf with the sword. I could see it already had gashes on its sides and a wound above its eyes. All of this may have been true, but the wolf was all but losing.
The beast’s claws were aiming towards my brother. “No!” I screamed as I ran towards Jonas. I pushed him aside, then stabbed the oncoming paw with my knife. The wolf roared, then bared its teeth, a new fire in its eyes.
The creature snapped at me with its teeth, but I jumped out of the way in time. The wolf decided it would go for weaker prey. Jonas was still on the ground from where I had pushed him.
I pulled my brother onto his feet just before he became dinner. “Get into the tent.” I demanded as I leaped in for another stab at the monster. It turned its attention to me and swiped his paw in my direction again.
“I have to help you.” The stubborn little brother held his sword high above his head, aiming for the ears of the wolf.
The animal turned back towards Jonas and lifted its left paw above him. My brother stared in fear as it lowered it in one swift move.
“No!” I cried. I couldn’t bear to lose my last family member, so I made a split second decision. 
I ducked under the wolf’s chest and stabbed my knife into its heart. Then, I pushed Jonas away from the huge paw.
The world stopped as claws dug into my stomach.
I screamed in pain while the wolf fell to the ground. Blood welled out of my wounds, like a gushing fountain.
Jonas ran towards me. “Amber!” He cried, kneeling next to me, grabbing my hands.
The pain began to numb as my body ran out of vital fluid.
“Jonas.” I whispered to him. “I’m so sorry I won’t be able to help raise you. Promise me you will be strong.”
Tears streaked Jonas’s face. “Amber, don’t say that. Please, stay with me.”
Love for my brother filled my dying heart. “Promise me.” I pleaded.
“I will.” Jonas accepted defeat.
“I love you Jonas, and I always will.” I murmured, my head feeling light.
Satisfied Jonas would be okay, I smiled and let darkness overtake my vision.