The Detective | Teen Ink

The Detective

The Detective
I – Introductions and History
It was November 10th 2016, Boe Flare walked to the detective agency. Boe was a detective in training. He had brown hair, brown eyes, and he wore a tan suit. He was training in the best detective agency in Britain. Boe opened the door and went to his office. When he got there the chief detective, George Franklin, was waiting for him with someone he had never seen.
This someone had a long black coat, a black suit, black hair, black hat and basically everything else black except for his eyes which were blood red.
“Boe, this is detective Edison Plane,” Chief Franklin said.
“Nice to meet you,” Boe said, shaking Edison’s hand.
“Boe, you will be working with Mr. Plane to stop a thief and murderer,” said Chief Franklin.
“We have to stop two!?” exclaimed Boe.
“Calm down, the thief and the murderer are the same person.”
“Thank goodness.”
“The Prime Minister, Seth Borum, has asked us to stop this criminal because he saw him and identified him as Dieson Lane,” said Chief Franklin.
“Who?” asked Boe.
“Dieson Lane, the most dangerous criminal Britain has ever seen, no the world has ever seen.” Said Edison. “Born in 1974, Dieson was raised here in London. He was a great student. An overachiever, he always did more than asked. No one knows what went wrong with him, but in 1991 he stole a gun and shot his parents. He was only seventeen. For five years he escaped police and left so little a trail that no detective could find him. During those years he became the biggest criminal in Britain. He was on the top of the wanted list. It took five years, but in 1996 he was caught. He was put in jail instantly. After ten long years, in 2006 he escaped from jail. He caused trouble everywhere he went. He was a master at explosives, murder, and robbery. He traveled across the world. He was wanted by every government in the world. Then in 2011, back in Britain he was accidentally blasted by a tank shell. General Blake Franklin had fired it and received awards from the United Nations.”
“Blake Franklin is my father,” said Chief Franklin. “He wasn’t aiming for Dieson but it missed and killed him.
“I never knew your father is the General of the Army,” said Boe. “But if Dieson is dead then why did Prime Minister Borum think he saw Dieson?”
“We don’t know,” said Chief Franklin. “Now you and Mr. Plane better get moving if you want to find Dieson.
“Yes sir,” said Boe.
Boe and Edison walked out of the building and into the snowy day. They got into Edison’s car and drove to their destination.
II – The Tomb
Boe and Edison drove up to the airport.
“Where are we going Mr. Plane?” asked Boe.
“To Alaska,” Edison replied.
“Why?”
“To find the criminal.”
“But why Alaska?”
“The tomb.”
“TOMB?!”
“Yes, a tomb. You’re not scared are you?”
“No sir.”
“Good.”
Edison and Boe got out of their car and walked to the plane. They got there and gave their tickets to the flight attendant. They boarded the plane and sat down. The plane took off.
About halfway through the trip Boe spoke.
“What does the criminal want in the tomb?”
“His name is Dieson” Edison said.
“Before your story Chief Franklin said the prime minister saw him, but you said he died.”
“Dieson was famous for faking his death. The prime minister was most definitely right.”
“So what does Dieson want in the tomb?”
“Museum have been robbed of their antique artifacts. We don't know exactly why Dieson is stealing ancient artifacts but we have a theory.”
“What is your theory?”
“That he wants to gain power.”
"How?"
"By stealing enough artifacts and then buying illegal weapons from the black market. He could then force his way in to power and possibly destroy the world while doing so.
"That’s horrible."
"To you but not to him."
Later the plane landed and Boe and Edison met their escort. She took them to the tomb entrance and said
“Good luck, you’ve got till 9:00PM till I leave.”
Edison said, yelling over the wind “Come on Boe let’s get to the tomb!”
“Coming!” replied Boe.
The pair entered and propped the door open with a very large rock.
“In order to find the artifact before Dieson does we need to get to the center of the tomb,” said Edison.
They walked for what seemed hours until they got to a very large door.
“There must be some way to open this door,” said Edison moving his hands around the door looking for a secret switch.
Boe found what looked like a stick sticking up at a diagonal angle. He pulled it down and he and Edison heard a rumbling noise.
“What did you do?!” yelled Edison.
The door began to split and it came open.
“You genius! I’m sorry I yelled at you,” said Edison.
“Its fine,” said Boe.
The door opened and Boe walked in and looked at the treasure scattered across the room.
“Boe watch out!” yelled Edison.
Boe felt a piece of metal come down on his head knocking him out cold.

III – The Fire
Boe opened his eyes and he saw Chief Franklin looking down at him.
“Thank goodness you’re awake,” Chief Franklin said.
“How long was I out?” Boe asked.
“About three weeks,” replied Chief Franklin.
“Did we get the artifact?” asked Boe.
“No,” said Chief Franklin.
“We have to go back and get it.”
“The person who knocked you out stole it.”
“What about Mr. Plane?”
“He was attacked as well.”
“Is he okay?”
“There were three attackers. One knocked you out and stole the artifact and the other two chased Mr. Plane away.”
“What about our escort?”
“She was killed. Mr. Plane said that he found her dead.”
“How did you find me?”
“Mr. Plane drove to a police station and said that there was and incident in the tomb. He told them that tomb robbers stole a piece of the treasure in the tomb, they killed your driver, and that he lost his assistant in the tomb. The Police sent a squad to find you and the chief called me. They found you and kept you in a hospital till I arrived. Then we brought you back here.”
“Does my mum know?”
“Yes, she came by multiple times. Your uncle came by too.
“My uncle is back?”
“Yes he came and talked to me along with your mother while you are gone. They put flowers out for you.”
“What about finding Dieson?”
“You are too hurt to keep helping Mr. Plane.”
Boe let out a sigh.
“But I wanted to help.”
“You will be able to help with another case sometime,” said Chief Franklin.
A week later Boe was let out of the hospital. He went to Edison to apologize.
“Mr. Plane, I’m sorry that I can’t help anymore and that I let my guard down,” Boe said.
“It is fine. But I think it is better this way,” said Edison.
“What do you mean?” asked Boe.
“You are too young and untrained for a case like this.”
“Chief Franklin thinks I am good.”
“No matter what his opinion is you are still too young. Compared to me you have a baby’s knowledge of detective work.”
“Careful what you say or I will tell Chief Franklin that it was your gun that the robbers used.”
“How did you know that they stole my gun?!”
“I saw that you have a new gun so I assumed that the robbers took your gun when you were not looking.”
Edison cursed under his breath.
“Get lost, you little runt,” Edison said. "It’s a wonder that you're still not wearing diapers with a brain that small."
"That does it," said Boe.
Boe stomped away and told Chief Franklin about the robbers stealing Edison’s gun. Edison was threatened to be fired if he messed up again.
Boe later met his uncle, Potechonlyusta Flare (nicknamed slap), who was home from a business trip. They went to a restaurant to eat and visit together. They got to the restraint and ordered some food and then they sat down.
“So Boe, are you doing well?” asked Slap.
“I’m fine,” sighed Boe.
“You don’t seem fine.”
“I failed uncle, I failed. I let my guard down. Now I can’t complete the case.”
“Boe, I want to tell you something. This murderer is a master of stealth. He won’t get caught easily.
“How do you know who the murderer is?”
“I talked to Chief Franklin. He told me and your mother that the murderer is Dieson Lane.
“That’s what I’ve been told.”
“Your mother wasn’t happy, but Chief Franklin assured us that you would be safe. So when she found out that you got hurt she was furious. I was afraid that she would yell at Chief Franklin with every curse word that she knew. Luckily I convinced her not to curse. She still yelled though.
Boe and Slap laughed and then Slap got up and paid for the food. He and Boe exited and walked to Slap’s house.
While they were walking Slap tried to cheer Boe up.
“Boe, don’t tell your mother that I told you this but you will probably be better before Dieson is caught,” Slap said. “Then you can go back and help.”
“Unless Edison has anything to say about it,” said Boe.
“Who is Edison?”
“Did Chief Franklin not tell you?”
“Nope. He just told us you were in Alaska.”
“He is the senior detective that I was working with. I hate him and he hates me.”
“I’m sure he doesn’t hate you. He probably was just cranky.”
“Detective work was one of my favorite things ever. Now I don’t know if I will be able to go back.”
“You will because you are good at it. You just need more practice. If at first you don’t succeed then try again.”
Slap and Boe then reached the house. Slap unlocked the door and he and Boe talked more. Eventually Boe left and went back to his apartment.
During the night Boe heard sirens. He looked out his window and saw smoke. He notice that it was near where his mom lived. He put on his coat and he ran into the night. He got in his car and drove in the direction of the smoke.
When he reached his destination he saw that it was his mother's house that was on fire. He ran to the house and then looked around for a fire fighter. He saw one and Boe ran to him.
"Hey!" Boe shouted. "Mister."
"What is it," replied the fire fighter. "Oh, hi Boe."
"Is my mum out of there?"
We have rescued no one. The crumbling building has blocked many doorways. Our men are still searching."
"Sir!" one of the fire men yelled. "We found someone."
"Is she okay?" asked Boe.
"Who are you?" the fire man replied.
"Boe Flare," Boe said. "This is my mother's house."
The fire fighter spoke to the fire fighter chief for a while. Then they moved over to an ambulance. They looked at a body covered by a white sheet. After they talked more the chief then came over to Boe.
"I'm sorry Boe, but your mother is dead," the chief said. "One of our men found her body and brought it out."
Boe fell on to the ground.
"He fainted"

IV - The Murderer Revealed
Boe attended his mother's funeral along with his uncle, Chief Franklin, and a surprise guest Prime Minister Seth Borum. After the funeral Boe asked Chief Franklin where Edison was. Boe wanted to ask him for help in finding the person who started the fire and killed his mother. Chief Franklin told him how to find him but to be careful around Edison. This was because Boe had revealed how Edison had lost his gun and almost gotten him fired.
Edison was talking to an elderly woman named Edwina because her brother had been killed by the murderer Dieson Lane. Boe drove to Edwina's house and parked a block away so not to attract attention.
Boe walked the block and finally reached Edwina's house. Boe walked up to Edwina's front door. He stood on the porch and moved the door slightly open. He heard the voices of Edwina and Edison.
"Edwina, be reasonable," said Edison. "You need the extra security since your brother died."
"I don't need any darn security," snapped Edwina. “Dumb cops think because I’m old I can’t protect myself.
“I’m a detective not a cop,” said Edison.
“When a detective ever gets anything done it’s going to be the end of the world,” said Edwina.
“Why?” asked Edison.
“Because they are so dumb!” laughed Edwina.
“Ha ha, now about the security,” said Edison.
“I said I don’t need any,” said Edwina.
"Look, I am just doing my job," snapped Edison.
"What makes you think he will come after me?" Edwina asked.
"The murderer has come after antique objects. You have some here."
"Murderers kill people. They don’t steal. That’s a thief. It proves my point though. You detectives are dumber than Elmo.”
“Ha ha, very funny Edwina. Now you should really accept security.”
“Why is the murderer stealing?”
"That is classified information."
"Classify my rear end."
"You might not need security if I relived you of your artifact."
"Over my dead body."
“That can be arranged.”
“What kind of detective are you, threatening people.”
"If you are refusing security I will take the artifact or force you to have security."
"None."
Boe saw Edison pull out his gun and point it at Edwina.
"Darn you," Edwina said.
Edwina handed Edison the teapot. Edison walked towards the door when Edwina tripped him. He fell and his pants leg moved up revealing a scar.
Edwina gasped "I recognize that scar. It was on the murderer who killed my parents. You are Dies-"
Boe heard a gunshot and he saw Edwina fall dead on the floor.
Boe gasped and then ran. He hid behind a bush and he watched Edison walk by.
Boe heard Edison talking to himself.
Edison said "Now to get the prime minister."

V - Encounter With Dieson
Boe knew that he would never get to Chief Franklin in time and he did not have a phone with him. Boe got in his car and drove to 10 Downing Street.
When Boe got there he saw Edison's car already parked there. Boe ran up to the door and he saw the guards dead. Boe ran in and he eventually found the prime minister's office. Boe walked in and saw Edison handcuffing Prime Minister Borum.
"Hands in the air Edison!" yelled Boe.
"Boe, so nice to see you," said Edison sarcastically. "Oh and it isn't Edison its Dieson."
"You're Dieson Lane?!"
"Why, yes I am."
"Impossible."
"We have plenty of time for me to tell you how I survived. Do you want to know?"
"Yes, I want to know."
"Good, let’s begin. After I was blasted by the tank shell, I was barely alive. I stayed in hiding for some time before becoming Edison. When I did become Edison I was successful. Recently I decided that Dieson would return. Unfortunately Borum here spotted me before I was ready to be seen. When we were in the tomb I hired three criminals that I freed from jail to scare you off. I knew I could not let you die or Chief Franklin would of been furious at me. After you told on me for the gun indecent I killed the three robbers that I hired. Then to get back at you I burnt down your house and made sure you mother died during the fire."
"YOU MONSTER!"
"I take that as a compliment."
"You will pay for killing my mother, Dieson."
"What I told you on the plane going to Alaska was true. I do want power. I will hold the prime minister captive and ransom him then I will kill him after I get the ransom money. Now I can ransom two people."
Boe fired his gun. It wounded Dieson badly.
"I'm not a killer like you, Dieson," said Boe.
Dieson cursed. Boe unlocked Prime Minister Borum's handcuffs and removed them. Boe put them on Dieson. Dieson was to weak to retaliate. Boe wrapped a cloth around Prime Minister Borum's wounds.
When Boe was not looking Dieson scooted over to the gun on the floor and picked it up. Boe and Prime Minister Borum spun around when they heard a gunshot. Dieson had killed himself.
Later police came and took the now dead Dieson away.
"Well I’m glad that’s over," said Boe.
"Yes, so am I," said Chief Franklin. "You did a great job tonight Boe. We have decided to promote you."
"You are?"
"Yes we are. You are no longer a detective in training. You are an official detective."
“Thank you sir.”
Boe lived a successful life, married and had two children. Britain or the world never saw someone like Dieson Lane ever again.