SURVIVAL | Teen Ink

SURVIVAL

November 18, 2016
By JorgeVelasco BRONZE, Santa Ana, California
JorgeVelasco BRONZE, Santa Ana, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

     SURVIVAL

 


      
             As we ran through the woods, we could hear that the zombies were getting close. When we lost them, we stopped by the get a rest. As we rested,I saw a shining light in the distance. At first i thought it was a truck, but soon after, i heard a gunshot and a streak of light go right in front of my eyes.We were ambushed! As we ran we could see more people in front of us step out of the shadows.We were cornered!They pointed guns at us as we knelt down to them. Soon after we could see that a RV pulled up in the woods. From it came out a guy wearing a greaser jacket and jeans, holding a barbed baseball bat. As i saw him emerge, i was fearing the worst for my group.
  “September 23,2017:It has been 2 years since the zombies invaded Los Angeles and 5 years since they invaded the United States.I haven’t had any word of my family in Santa Ana. If you find this tape recorder,HELP US.”
“Can you SHUT UP!” John said to Mary. John was the kind of person that would act like a strict leader.
”Leave her alone,John.”I said.
“Hey, you aren’t the one who has to deal with this crap!”
“He has a point Logan.” Peter said. Peter was the person in the group that would always follow John’s rules.
“Hey! I am scared, ALRIGHT!” Mary finally said. Mary is the person that would get scared of everything. Since she saw that zombies had infested the U.S,she has been traumatized.
“That doesn’t give her a excuse for blabbering into that recorder.The zombies are going to get near with you blabbering away.”John said to me.
At that point, Anna came in the house, with a fearful expression on her face.
“What happened” I said.
           “I have to tell you something, but only you can hear it. Alright?” She said to              me.
           At that point i was starting to fear that the zombies broke through the wall.
           “I saw a sign outside the wall. It said that there is a community right across the woods. If we can pass through there, then we might get our chance to escape from here and find sanctuary.”
            I had to get a choice, stay here and risk it, or risk passing the woods to find sanctuary.
            As i entered the room, i told the group the good news.
            “Guys, I have good news. Anna here says she saw a sign right outside the wall that says that across the woods there is a place where we can call it home.” I said.
            “ I...I...I don’t know about that. I heard that the woods are infested with zombies.” said Peter.
               “So what if the woods are infested. This could be our chance to get out of this crap hole.” John said, angrily.
               “ Alright, we are going to vote. Say aye for yes, and nay for no.”
                Almost everybody said aye, except for Peter.
                “ Alright, we leave in the morning at 6:00.” I said.
                In the morning we got ready with our knives in hand and our guns by our waist.
                As we passed through the city, we saw the woods from about a mile when we heard       
   a zombie growling.
                At first we thought it was only one, but we were surprised when we saw a horde come out of the building.
                “ RUN!” John screamed.
                 As we ran we could see that the woods were getting closer.
                 As we ran into the woods i saw over my shoulder.
                 The thing i saw horrified me. It was a group of other survivalist, shooting the zombies, one by one.What were they doing? Were they following us? Were they spying on us?
                  As we ran through the woods, we could see that the woods were dark. They were as dark as a room with no light. Some branches made up figures like people hanging from them.  We could hear that the zombies were getting close. They were crushing leaves and twigs, their moaning echoing through the dark woods When we lost them, we stopped by the get a rest. As we rested, i saw a shining light in the distance. At first i thought it was a truck, but soon after, i heard a gunshot and a streak of light go right in front of my eyes.We were ambushed! As we ran we could see more people in front of us step out of the shadows.We were cornered!They pointed guns at us as we knelt down to them. Soon after we could see that a RV pulled up in the woods. From it came out a guy wearing a greaser jacket and jeans, holding a barbed baseball bat. As i saw him emerge, i was fearing the worst for my group.
                   “You thought you could escape danger, right?” He said. “ Oh. Sorry. I haven’t introduced myself. My name’s Trevor.”
                   “What are you going to do to us.” Mary asked, frighteningly.
                   “ Well, to say the truth, i am going to kill you all.” Trevor said, chuckling
                    As i saw in horror, he was getting ready to hit Peter in the head with the bat, but he stopped. There was brief silence, then he fell to the ground. After he fell, we could see that he had a huge cut in his back.A few seconds later, one of his members fell to, also with a huge cut.
                     “ What is happening!?” His member said.
                        Then, all his whole group fell, with the same cut to the back.As we stood up we saw a black figure standing in front of us. He had claws, full of blood.He had horns and fangs, but what horrified me was that he wasn’t human and that he had a huge smile in his face. Seconds later, he disappeared.
                     “ Uhhh. What just happened.” John said.
                     “ It looks like we just got saved.” Peter said.
      At that moment i realized that there were zombies coming. As i told my group to run, i looked behind me, and i saw the figure one last time before he disappeared.
                      For the next two days we crossed the woods. After we crossed them, we saw the community, surrounded by walls. The wall was painted blue with red little blood spots.We could see a huge tower over the wall. I was surprised that there was an actual wall out here in the middle of nowhere.  I crept around to the front entrance and said if this was the place they called sanctuary. A lady came out of around the corner.
       “Hi. Welcome to Sanctuary. How may we assist you.” She said.
       “We were wondering if we could stay here?If we could call this place home.” I said.
       “Sure! Everyone is welcome to stay here, but i have a question. What is your name?”
       “My name is Logan. And you are?”
       “ My name is Anna.
   A few days later we called this community home. This was a task we called: SURVIVAL.