GREED | Teen Ink

GREED

By AbraheemAbu-shanab BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
AbraheemAbu-shanab BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

There once was a great king named Aires. He lived in Ancient Egypt around 3150 BC. He was a just king, and loved his people. Aires had two sons Jack and Cronos. His wife died in labor giving birth to his youngest son. Jack was the elder of the two boys. Jack was kind, gentle, smart, and a strong leader. His younger brother Cronos was impatiente, merciless, ruthless, greedy, and would do anything to get what he wanted. The king loved both of his sons, but only one could be king. In Ancient Egypt the tradition was that the eldest son would be king upon his father’s death. When a prince would become king he would gain supernatural powers that were beyond comprehension. Also he would have complete control over all of Egypt and everyone in it.

One day King Aires became very ill and was dying. The royal doctor came to assess the situation. His diagnosis showed the king was suffering from the Black Plague. A disease caused by a bacterium that circulates among wild rodents where they live in great numbers and density. It affects the lymph nodes within 3 to 7 days of exposure to plague bacteria. The victim will develop flu-like symptoms such as fever, headaches , chills, weakness, and swollen, tender lymph glands until death. The king sent for his two sons. So he could say his last words to them. The king looked at his two sons and said “ My sons, I love you both, but only one of you can be king.” “ And you two know in our culture the oldest son becomes king upon my death.” That’s when the king looked his oldest son Jack and said “ Jack my son you will be king.” “ You will rule Egypt like my father and his father before him.” “ I know you will rule with honor and justice and be a just king.” Then with tears in his eyes he looked at his sons and said “You my sons are the greatest things I’ve made in this life.” “You’re my legacy.” “No father could ever be more proud.” Suddenly Cronos, the king’s youngest son lashed out at his father and said “You’re a liar you’ve only ever cared about Jack!” “You’ve always loved him more!” “I should be king not Jack!” “ You don’t have to follow the tradition of making the eldest son the king!” “You’re just using it as an excuse to make Jack the king!” “And I will not allow it. I rather die!” Jack looked at his brother with disappointment and said “I don’t want to be king.” “If you want to be king so bad be king.” “I have no objections.” The king looked at Cronos and said “You’re a disgrace!” “You are power hungry and don’t deserve to be king!” “Jack will be king whether you like it or not.” Cronos being furious with his father stormed out of the room. With his final breath the king said “Jack my son you will make a fine king, but beware of your brother because his greed knows no bounds.”

It had been approximately 1 year since their father’s death and Jack was becoming a fine king. However as time increased so did Cronos’s greed for the crown. Cronos’s greed grew so much that he decided it was time to take what he thought was rightfully his. Cronos preformed a ritual spell to summon the Ruler of the Underworld Damon to make a deal with him. The Dark Ruler Damon said “Aaahhh Cronos the son of the late King Aires.” “How can I be of service?” Cronos replied “I need your help.” “I want power.” “Enough power to rule the world.” The Dark Ruler Damon said “ HAHAHA I can give you the power you seek, but it comes at a price.” “Your soul.” “I accept.” said Cronos. Then in an instant a dark smoke began to come out of Damon’s hands and began to enter Cronos’s mouth. Cronos began to scream and laugh because of the power he was receiving. His body began to change. His muscles began bigger, stronger, and more defined. His skin turned from it’s original caucasian complexion to black as dark as the night. His eyes turned as red as fresh blood. Then the dark ruler disappeared with a whisper. “You have the power you sought.” “And now I have your soul.”

Cronos began to make his way to the palace to challenge his brother for the crown. When he got there Jack was already in his armor waiting for him. He looked at his brother and said “Cronos what happened to you my brother?” “I am not your brother.” “You are just an obstacle in my way. That I should have eliminated years ago.” “I have more power than you will ever know.” said Cronos. Then the they began to fight. Punch after punch, kick after kick, cut after cut they fought. Suddenly Cronos tried to cut off Jack’s head, but Jack was a skilled warrior and dodged the attacked with a spin. While sticking his sword deep into his brother’s black heart. Cronos fell to the ground as if dead, but got up in a moments notice and pulled the sword out of his chest. He then threw the sword at Jack and it cut deep into his stomach. Laying on the ground stunned with a sword lodged deep into his stomach. Jack couldn't believe what he saw. How could his brother survive a sword through the heart. Jack finally got up and pulled the sword from his stomach and began to fight again. Cronos then broke Jack’s left arm and right leg with one swing of his massive arm. Jack realizing he can’t beat his brother picked himself up despite having a broken arm and leg and began to run. However Cronos didn’t chase him. He just laughed and mocked Jack for being a coward and that he wasn’t worthy of being a king. Jack run until he completely left the city and was in the middle of the desert. With nothing to eat or drink he remembered when he was a child hi father told him “My son if you are ever in trouble and have no one to turn to find the oracle in the sand.” “Follow the sun and it will guide you to her”. Jack traveled for 5 days and nights in the desert without food or water. Finally at the end of nowhere he found a little tent with one camel tied to one of the nails holding down the tent. He approached the tent and heard a voice say “I know who you are Jack son of King Aires.” “You may enter.” Jack entered the tent and say a woman covered from head to toe with silk. All he could see was her eyes. He looked at her and asked “Are you the oracle of the sands?” The woman looked and Jack and said “ Yes and I know why you are here.” “You want to know what happened to your brother.” Also how to defeat him.” She looked at the ceiling of the tent and said “Your brother got his power by trading his soul with the Ruler of the Underworld Damon.” “The only way to defeat him is to gain power equal to his and stab him in the heart with the Green Diamond Sword of Juaoto. “To obtain these you must travel long and far to Persia.” “ To the temple of light and darkness and there you shall find what you seek. “ Then Jack got up and thanked the oracle for all her help and left the tent with the camel to start his journey.

It took Jack 40 days and nights to finally reach Persia. Now all he had to do was find the hidden temple of light and darkness. He saw a monk and asked “Do you know where the temple of light and darkness is?” The monk didn’t even look at him he just said “If you are worthy if will come to you.” Jack tried to ask what he meant, but the monk never answered he just kept walking. Jack we tired from all the traveling so he rented a hotel room for the night. While asleep he had a vision a woman came to him in the dream and told him exactly where the temple of light and darkness was. Jack woke up immediately. It was 3:00, but he didn't care. He got ready in an instant and began his search for the temple of light and darkness. After 2 days of traveling exactly how the woman in the dream told him to. He finally found the temple of light and darkness and it was incredible. He entered and a monk approached him and said “Where are you here?” “How did you find this place?” Jack replied “A woman in a dream showed me how to get here.”“I am here for power and a special sword to defeat my brother.” The monk said “Ok, come with me.” Jack followed the monk into a room that was as light as the sun it self. Then the monk took a hold of Jack’s hand and said “This power you will receive is beyond measure.” “You have to use it for good or else it will kill you.” “The same applies with the Green Diamond Sword of Jauoto.” “With that being said do you accept?” With a gulp and sweat falling down his brow “Yes” said Jack. A very bright light consumed Jack’s body and in an instant he was transformed. His body became the embodiment of light. However none of his features changed except his body was radiant. Like a glowing candle in the night. Then the monk handed Jack the sword. Jack proceeded to thank the monk and began his journey back to Egypt fight his brother.

It took Jack 70 days and nights of traveling in the desert to finally get back to  Egypt. Jack didn’t waste anytime he immediately began to make his way to the palace to fight his brother for his rightful spot on the throne. When he got there he saw Cronos eating grapes and laughing at the sight of him. Jack yelled “You don’t deserve the power or position you have.” “I am here to correct that wrong.” So it began they began to fight. Two brothers torn apart by one’s greed. They fought for what seemed to be an eternity. Finally Jack pulled out the Green Diamond Sword of Jauoto to use against Cronos. With one mighty swing of this magical sword Jack severed Cronos’s head. At that moment his brother’s head less body turn into stone like a statue. Then the Dark Ruler of the Underworld Damon appeared right next to Cronos’s lifeless body and said “What a damn shame.” “I gave him all the power he’d ever need to be the ruler of earth.” “Yet he failed.” Then the Dark Ruler Damon disappeared into a dark void with Cronos’s lifeless body with a whisper “His soul was a fine addition to my collection hahaha.” “I look forward to having your soul as well...Jack.”