The Escapist | Teen Ink

The Escapist

October 20, 2016
By BethWrite53052005 SILVER, Paisley, Other
BethWrite53052005 SILVER, Paisley, Other
5 articles 10 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Happiness can be found even in the darkest of ties, if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Dumbledore


The shock hit me like a punch to the stomach. This wasn't my bedroom, it was tiny and cramped and I was sitting in a metal framed bed with a thin mattress and a small pillow. On the small patch of floor visible there was a note;

"Dear Ashley,
We are sorry. We have not been able to pay off the bills and have been sent here. To perish.
Love,
Mum and Dad"

My heart was in my mouth after reading the note. I was gutted at the cruelty of the government. This was when I first began planning my escape.

Two weeks in my cramped room passed, living off of a small pack of food and water I probably managed to sneak in here when I was first dumped in this village of death, I decided to carry out the escape plan I had been working hard on.

That night was bitterly cold. I wrapped myself in the blanket provided with the room. It was cheap and scratchy but I didn't care. I ran out of the dirty wooden door and down the street into the woods. I was grateful that all of my clothes were dark, because I could slip into the shadows whenever I needed or wanted to. I didn't stop running until I was absolutely sure nobody could see me.

As soon as I stopped running, I started to take in my surroundings and explored for a bit. After about ten minutes, I came across an odd looking hole. I approached it and saw that inside, there was a bow, quiver and plenty of arrows. I didn't care that hunting was punishable by death and I picked up the weapons and tried them out. I had done archery before at my old home and I was a good shot.

I saw a hare running by and I decided to test out how good I was at moving targets. I aimed and shot at it. The arrow hit it straight through the head and it dropped to the ground. I ran over and picked up the hare, I then replaced the arrow in my quiver.

After skinning and preparing the hare, I continued my travels. I was looking for a tree to set up camp in. Just as I saw a tree that would do nicely, I heard a faint buzz and soon realised that it was a government hovercraft. I quickly climbed and hid myself in the tree, leaving nothing but the hare. I sat and waited for the hovercraft to leave, but they didn’t, in fact, it landed and government agents started pacing around. They were angry about something.

I wasn't sure what until I realised they were looking for something. Someone. Me? I had forgotten one minor detail, they had cleaners that came to see if we were alive and there. I wasn't there. Eventually, they found me. My name is Ashley, I am 16 years old and I have been forced to work for the government.


The author's comments:

This was my entry for 500 words 2016. I know it needs work but this was my starting point with writing.