Imprisoned | Teen Ink

Imprisoned

October 12, 2016
By Anonymous

There was man named Gary who had been poor his entire life. His father died just months after he was born, and his mother became an abusive alcoholic. Gary grew up with no father figure, until one day he met a man named Joe on the streets. Gary started to look up to Joe. After a few months of hanging out with Joe, he made  Gary start  robbing people.
“It’s going to make you rich, you can leave behind your life at home,” Joe told Gary.
“I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem right,” Gary said.
“That type of thinking will get you nowhere,” said Joe.
“I guess I’ll try it,” said Gary.
One summer afternoon, Gary and Joe made the biggest mistake of their lives. They walked into a gas station, Joe pulled out his gun, and held it up to the cashier’s head.
‘“Give me everything you got, now!” Joe yelled at the top of his lungs.
But then, Gary heard a voice from the other side of the store.
“Help, there are people stickin up the gas station down by the  freeway,” a man said frantically.
Gary walked over towards the voice and saw a phone in the man’s hand, “Big mistake, little man!”
Gary shot the guy in the back of the head. His blood formed a crimson red puddle on the floor. Gary quickly felt a rush of guilt and regret.
“Oh my God!” Gary said,“What have I done.”
“You weren’t supposed to kill no one,” said Joe, “We’re done we got to get out of here.”
Just then,  the sirens screeched passed the gas station and pulled up in front of the door. The cops got out of there car and pointed their guns toward the store and waited for Gary.
“Release the hostages and come out with your hands where we can see them,” one cop yelled.

Joe pointed the gun at the cashier and yelled,” Get out of here.”
The cashier ran faster than a bullet out of the store.
“I can’t go back to prison,” Joe said, as he held up his gun.
“Don’t do it,” Gary responded.
“I can’t believe I thought you could handle this,” Joe muttered angrily.
Joe ran out of the store and pointed his gun at the cops. As soon as the cops saw him he got gunned down.
Gary  dropped his gun, slowly walked out of the store, and put his hands up. The cops tackled him and cuffed him.
Months later, after a long court process, Gary got sentenced to life in prison. When Gary heard that, his stomach dropped to the floor. On the prison bus people asked what they were going in for.
“What did you do?” asked one prisoner.
“One armed robbery and one man slaughter,” said Gary.
“Violent one huh? The others will see that as a challenge, my name is Jim  by the way,” said Jim.
“I’m Gary,” said Gary.
The bus pulled up in front of the prison. The prisoners lined up one by one to enter their new home. Gary noticed that the guards kept a close eye on them, but one stuck out to Gary the most. He was a man in his early to mid 50’s, with a trimmed beard that was grey as the clouds outside. He had scars across his face that tore his face. He had black eyes that felt like he tore through your soul when he looked at you. Gary could only see anger in his eyes.
Gary made it to his cell, it had one window, made of the thickest and toughest glass he had ever seen. The walls of the cell beige that reflected the light coming from the window like a mirror.  Gary heard the cell door open.
“Hey,” he heard someone say. It was Jim.
“So are you my cell mate or what?”  asked Gary.
“Yeah,” said Jim.
“What a coincidence,” said Gary.
Gary spent three months in that prison until one day, he had enough. Gary got in a fight with another prisoner one day when one prisoner was telling Gary that he’d win in a fight, and Gary took him up on the offer. Gary swung a few hits at the other prisoner, before that guard who had always been watching Gary came over and beat him until the guard felt like he had enough.
That night Gary started to think of plans on how to make it out of the prison alive.
Gary thought of plans to escape with Jim throughout the whole night,
“Maybe we could fake our deaths,” Gary said.
“No,” Jim replied, “they’d probably figure it out,”
“I have one idea, but it’s a little risky,” said Jim.  “We could cause a riot and break out while that’s going on.”
“It’s worth a shot,” said Gary.
The next morning, Gary and Jim scouted out the prison for ways to cause a riot.
“What’s the best you could find?” said Jim.
“I found some fire alarms that we could pull,” Gary said, “Another option is to get some of the other prisoners on it and fake a big fight.”
“Second option it is,” Jim replied.
“Who’s gonna be in the fight?” asked Gary.
“You,” said Jim.
Jim and Gary met with other prisoners over the next few days to plan the riot that would come after the fight. Gary found someone to fake the fight with, he had a bald head, with scars that were deep enough to meet the bone, and in addition was covered in tattoos.
Gary walked up to the guy and said,”Hey.”
“Hey,” the guy said in a guy said in a gravelly voice.
“A friend and I are going to plan a riot starting with a fake fight between me and someone else,” Gary said.
“Say no more, I’m in. I’m John by the way” he said.
Jim and Gary met a third time.
“Did you get us a crowd?” Gary asked.
“Yep,” Gary replied, “and I’ll assume that you got us a fighter.”
“You know it,” replied Gary.
After a few days, it was ready. Gary and John met in the prison yard, and Jim had the crowd ready. Gary saw the Guards lazily standing around and took a swing at John. The crowd rushed over to watch. After about a minute the guards came over to end the fight, but just then the crowd of prisoners broke out against the guards.
Gary ran through the fighting crowd of guards and prisoners, looking for a way out. Just then he saw the gate open and Gary ran past it. After minutes of running from the prison Gary got surrounded by squad cars.
“Get on the ground now!” yelled one officer.
“I’m not going back!” Gary replied.
Gary was desperate, so tried to run past the officers. But then, he heard a thundering sound and then felt a pain that felt like someone set him on fire.  Gary fell to the ground in a pool of his own blood. It soon faded to black.
“No, not like this,” Gary said as he had his last breath.