This is for You | Teen Ink

This is for You

By ladygreatheart BRONZE, Coldwater, Mississippi
ladygreatheart BRONZE, Coldwater, Mississippi

"Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles."

- J.R.R. Tolkien

If you ever wake up this is for you.
I don’t know if you will even remember me, but I think you deserve to know what really happened.
It was snowing when they took you from the castle, leading you into the courtyard.  They removed your shoes, they ripped the crown off your head. You were brave, you stared right into their eyes without a shiver.
You walked barefoot on the cold stone, everyone stared at you. You were pale, no, pale is not the word, you were ice. I watched them take you, I watched as they unbound your hair. Gwaine watched them too, and I bodily held him back from getting himself killed. “Brann, please, I have to. Let me go!” he pleaded, but I wouldn’t.
I heard the proclamation condemning you. Traitor. Thief. Murderer.
The people gathered in, many as barefoot as yourself, their tears turning to ice. They wept for you, their queen, and their savior. Gwaine was silent, but you would have seen though his silence.
Awyne, if you ever wake up, I wept for you too.
They lied, they lied about you. They lied about everything.
The wind blew harshly, pelting you with snowflakes. I saw a shiver run through you, tears streaming down your face as you gazed towards heaven. Though my cloak was thick, I was chilled to the bone. I watched them drag you away, back to the castle. Gwaine and I followed.
We hadn’t abandon you.
The castle was unlit, but blocked the wind and the chill. I unsheathed my dagger, it glinted silver even in the dark. The handle felt cold and harsh in my hands, I slipped one to Gwaine. A soft grunt in the dark, and a human soul left this world. I followed my comrade and took a life.
We failed our promise to you and to God.
But we couldn’t leave you to die, you must know that. We took their clothing to disguise ourselves.  It was just the first shed blood of that awful day.
The only sound in the corridors was the sound of boots on stone, but it seemed deafening.
When we reached the platform, the top of that wide stone wall, they pushed you out in front. They were going to kill you in the sight of all your subjects. I could see the people crowding below us, trying to catch one final glimpse of their queen. They wailed loudly and Earl Demington commanded them to cease. They didn’t listen to him, he didn’t have their hearts, and they were never his people.
But he was furious, he ordered the guards to shoot arrows down amongst the people. They did, and terrified cries came from below, then silence. Demington turned to face the two guards who would not obey him. He recognized us instantly.
We tried to run back into the castle but they surrounded us. Demington ripped off our hoods. I heard you gasp, but through your concern I saw your face light up. “You are stubborn peasants,” He said, calmly “I’ m surprised you mustered up the courage to come this far. Ah well, Guards! Hold them there, we will dispose of them when I am finished with this wench.”
You begged him to set us free, but he brushed your words aside.
“Come ‘Your majesty’!” He sneered, Gwaine tried to struggle away, but I knew it was no use.
You did walk, very slowly, you walked with your shoulders back and your gaze towards heaven, up the platform to your death.
It was as if the whole world stopped breathing, the silence rang in every corner within the castle walls. I could hear your footsteps, soft and deliberate, followed by his careless brash ones.

The wind blew cold and fierce, blowing your hair harshly and sending ripples through his cape.
When you reached the top you turned around to face him. You spread out your arms to embrace death. A single tear slid down your cheek.
His deep mirthless chuckle echoed throughout the courtyard. He drew his sword. Gwaine turned away.
Then a great shout rang out from below. Demington turned at the sound.
I along with the guards looked down, craning our necks to see what had happened.
It was your Uncle, he had arrived, with his entire army.
The guards were watching him in shock, I slipped away and grabbed my sword. I intended to fight my way to you, but Gwaine was already running.
He attacked Demington and positioned himself between you and the Earl. When the guards saw the hopelessness of their situation, they fled.
I ran up to help Gwaine. The Earl was very skilled, but fought like a blackguard. I covered his right clearing the way for you to pass, to flee into the castle.
Then he pushed me.
I stumbled backward and collided with you. I tried to grab you, but I was weak with fear. Your arms slipped through my hands like water. I watched in horror as you fell over the edge of the wall.
There was an awful thud as you hit the ground.
Gwiane was still locked in combat with the Earl. Demington heard the people gasp and looked around. Gwaine seized his chance and finished him. He stared at his fallen opponent, then looked at me in grim triumph. I couldn’t move.
He looked around for you, then back at me. He suddenly understood. He ran to look over the edge.
He saw you and uttered a sound more terrible than I thought could ever come from a human throat.
He ran back towards the castle. I stood there, dumbly.
I’m sorry, so very sorry.
When I reached the place where you fell, Gwaine, your brother, was weeping over you. I stood there watching, all I could do was watch. The whole courtyard was silent now.
A small boy tugged on my sleeve, “Is…is she dead?” he asked trembling. I sat down on the cold ground and buried my face in my hands, he began to cry. I comforted him and he wept on my shoulder.
Your Uncle came riding up on his stallion. When he saw what was going on he dismounted and pushed his way through the crowd. He stood in silence a moment then gently pulled Gwaine away. He knelt beside you and took your hand in his. He was still for a long time.
Slowly an odd look came over his face, he checked your pulse. “She is alive” he breathed. “She survived the fall.”
Gwaine looked around wildly and ran to your side shouting for a physician. The boy stopped crying and looked at me with renewed hope. He shouted in glee and ran off to get the Healer. 
I moved away, I was not wanted and would only intrude.
Now I am leaving, I’m going to join your army in the north. I am no longer needed here.
I wrote this in case you don’t remember what really happened. I know Gwaine won’t tell you what happened, what I did. I won’t be covered up for, you deserve to know…
You deserve to know I failed you.
Please live Aywne.
If you ever wake up, know… I loved you.