The Great Escape | Teen Ink

The Great Escape

June 16, 2016
By CarsonF. BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
CarsonF. BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Whoosh, BANG! BANG! BANG! The door had just been opened. I jumped up from my comfy bed and ran to my master. Climbing all over him, I started licking his dapper suit, even though it was off-limits.

“Get down, boy. I love you too.” After being cooped up all day in the house, with nothing to do except sleep and gnaw on the repulsive bone that Master gave me, it is real boring. You eventually get used to it, being about a foot tall, black face and tan body with chestnut brown eyes. Especially when you are so fat you are considered ugly. Sure, there was Hammie the hamster, but all he did was run around in his cage, yelling random things. And there was the Little, who only pulled on my ears and hit me. Speaking of the devil, he charged at me. I barely had time to rush into the master’s library, my majestic safe haven. There’s a bunch of expensive-looking china in there, and Little wasn’t allowed in there. I took it all in, the reflection of the sun off of the china, the musty smell from all of the books. I could almost taste the cake that Master and Miss had last night… I sniffed for a bit, finding a rare crumb. After licking it up, I ran across the smooth granite floor, my paws clacking against the cold surface. 
But Miss caught me.  “Pugsley!  No running in the foyer!  Why don’t you spend your energy running outside?” Knowing Miss was right, I sulked and beat it before I got in any more trouble. As I crept through the doggie door that led outside, Hammie scared me. I fell down, tumbling head-over-heels.
“Quit it! You’re going to make me have to take a bath. What do you want?” As I rolled over to get up, I could tell he was a ticking time bomb, just about to explode.
“Guess what! You’ll never believe it, but I found a way out of this dump!” I rolled my eyes. Last time, this involved me digging the hole big enough for him, then he tried to karate-kick the gate down when that didn’t work. Let’s say it didn’t turn out so well.
“Ok, tell me then!”
“I was looking around the yard, and I found a loose board that we can pry up and both fit through! Isn’t it great???” I was skeptical on whether it would work or not, so I said what I thought to him.
“Are you crazy? Am I dreaming right now?” I gave him my signature look, the I-will-hurt-you-if-you-don’t-answer look.
“Yeesh! It may have a few holes in it,” I coughed at the word holes. “Ok, maybe a lot of holes, but we can make this work! Whaddya say, bud?” I paused for a moment, thinking of the outcomes. There were too many contingencies, so I had to follow my heart.
“Ok, fine. Tomorrow, because Miss and Little are going to the daycare and Master has to work. Only tomorrow, though. This better work,” I replied.
I woke up the next morning, feeling good. Then the thought of escaping took me down. I sighed, and wondered how I fixed myself into this mess. Hammie could be pretty persuasive at some things, and not in a good way. But I had to stick with the plan.
“See you, Pugsley! Be a good boy!” There was no way I could ever be a good boy when I am going to escape. I walked over to Hammie’s cage, hoping to talk it over again with him, but he was already outside. Master had seen the “connection” between Hammie and I, so he had an architect build an elaborate but safe ramp. Just my luck. I headed outside. When I pushed my fat head through the doggie door, I found him examining the fence.
“Just a check-over. You ready? I know you are. Let’s go!” Hammie shouted and pushed me, nudging me into the board, and it broke off and fell down. Oops, I thought. Master will have to fix that.
“FREEDOM!!” Hammie shouted as he jumped into his hamster ball and rode down the hill. He rode to his delight, rode off into the distance. He rode to his delight, and rode off into more trouble. I followed him, taking in the fresh air, looking at the pretty leaves, and enjoying my freedom. I charged down the hill and into our front yard. It was really nice, with some maple trees next to our huge driveway. And by huge, I mean about 50 feet. There were about 30 houses in all, ranging from small to big. Compared to other houses in our section, it was like a monstrous beast. Surprisingly, there were no other dogs in the neighborhood. When we moved in, it was because of Master’s job change.
“Slow down! You are going to…” Screech! The blue Chevy Silverado didn’t have enough time to halt before it hit Hammie. As I gasped in horror, I saw the top of the hamster ball fly away, and I knew in my heart that this was the end of him. I slowly started to walk away, thinking of all the times we've been through. The birthday cake incident where he got his name from pigging out on the whole cake before someone noticed, when he scratched a hole through the plaster, trying to reach his chew toy. I also remembered the time when he escaped the fence and into the yard, giving him the ideas to escape once more, to feel the wind in his golden brown hair and hear the excitement (or anger) of everyone chasing him. Those were the good times, and the thought of never being able to experience those again made me realize the bond that Hammie and I shared.
“Yo, buddy! Are you going to abandon the mission?” A voice croaked behind me, and I whirled around to see Hammie, dazed but alive, crawling out from under the car.
“Don’t ever scare me like that ever again! I swear, when you get better, I’ll…” I threatened, but I knew it was an empty one. I ran to him, licking him over and over again. As we walked back into the house, Hammie turned to me.
“Let’s never do that again,” Hammie replied with an exasperated look. I agreed, and went to sleep on my comfy bed, waiting for the sound of the door banging when Master comes home...


The author's comments:

I just love pugs, with their smushed faces and dumb actions. Hamsters, too.