Flash Fiction | Teen Ink

Flash Fiction

June 5, 2016
By Anonymous

We  walked  along  the  beach  at  the  end  of  the  world,  holding  hands  for  the  last  time.  Our  toes  in  the  sand,  smiling  ear  to  ear,  reminiscing  on  all  of  the things  we  felt  at  our  wedding  that  took  place  just  over  48  hours  ago.  The  sound  of  laughter  and  waves  crashing  was  all  that  filled  our  ears  and  nothing  could  go  wrong,  so  it  seemed. Chills  ran  through  my  body  each  time  the  cold  water  washed  up  to  my  toes,  making  the  growing  life  inside  my  belly  flutter.  We’re  expecting  our  greatest  gift  of  all  this  coming  winter  and  although  I’m  battling  stage  4  hematoma  cancer,  we  are  joyed  and  hoping  for  the  best.  “I’ve  never  been  so  happy  and  I’d  hate  to  kill  the  mood  but  there  is  something  I  need  to  get  off  my  chest”,   I  say  as  my  voice  shakes.  He  puts  his  arm  around  my  shoulder  and  pulls  me  closer,  making   me  feel  safe  enough  to  clear  my  mind.  “Things  have  been  great,  more  than  great  but  the  further  into  this  pregnancy  we  get  and  the  more  commitments  we  make  for  life  together,  the  more  real  my  disease  gets.”  “If  anything  were  to  happen  and  it’s  ever  the  decision  of  me  or  the  baby,  I  need  you  to  promise  me  that  you  will  always  choose  the  baby,  no  matter  what.”   He  gazed  at  me  with  his  big  hazel  eyes  blending  in  with  the  sunset,  comforting  me  with  the  same  smile  he  always  does,  winked  at  me  and  replied  “I  promise.”   I  felt  a  huge  sense  of  relief  and  could  now  continue  to  enjoy  one  of  the  happiest  times  of  my  life.  Things  were  going  great  and  we  accomplished  so  much  over  the  next  couple  of  weeks.  But,  not  long  after  I  entered  my  third  trimester,  I  began  to  get  very  weak  and  my  doctors  weren’t  too  sure  about  anything  anymore.  Over  the  next  month  or  so,  many  tests  were  ran  and  I  was  bed  ridden.  Test  results  showed  that  even  with  all  of  the  chemotherapy,  the  chances  of  me  making it  until  the  end  of  my  pregnancy  were  highly  unlikely.  Doctors  gave  me  words  of  wisdom  and  brochures  and  anything  they  thought  would  help  me  to  decide  what  should  be  done,  but  my  thoughts  were  beating  on  my  brain  like  a  drum  and  I  suddenly  couldn’t  hear  anything  anyone  was saying.  I  felt  my  eyes  watering  and  my  jaw  locking  as  I  searched  for  an  answer  in  my  husband’s  blank  face.  Dramatic  measures  could  be  taken  to  save  my  life  at  the  cost  of  the  baby’s.  I  knew  what  felt  right  and  I  knew  what  I  wanted  but  I  also  knew  that  wasn’t  as  easy  to  accept  for  my  husband.  With  hope  that  he  would  remember  what  he  promised  me  that  one  sweet  time  on  our  honeymoon,  I  waited  for  the  doctors  to  leave  to  bring  it  back  up  to  him.  Shortly  after  the  doctors  exited  and  before  I  could  open  my  mouth  to  say  a  word,  he  said  he  knew  what  I  wanted  and  he  would  learn  to  accept  it  if  that  were  truly  how  I  felt. We  let  the  doctors  know  our  decision  and  in  doctor  words  they  let  us  know  that  I  wouldn’t  make  it through  the labor.  They  explained  to  us  how  the  procedure  would   go,  all  of  the  risks,  about  how  long  it  should  take,  that  they  would  make  me  comfortable,  and  that  we  should  start  our  goodbyes. We  called  family  members  and  friends  and  explained  our  decisions  to  them,  everyone  took  it  hard  and  some didn’t  even  agree,  but  all  were  supportive  and  for  that  we  were  thankful.  We  knew  in  our  hearts  this  was  right  and  he  would  have  a  piece  of  me  through  our  healthy  child  for  the  rest  of  his  life. The  next  morning  everyone’s  life  would  change  and  although  not  ideal,  it  will  be  a  blessing.  On  our  honeymoon,  we  walked  along  the  beach  at  the  end  of  the  world,  holding  hands  for  the  last  time.  


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece after watching many movies and combining them together.