Police Chase 3 | Teen Ink

Police Chase 3

By com.delta BRONZE, Dover Plains, New York
com.delta BRONZE, Dover Plains, New York

It was Friday the 13th in Alaska as a car flew by. The radar picked up the speed: 75 mph on a 35. A dispatch went out for a stolen vehicle. I rushed out of my parking spot, flipped on my lights and caught up to the car. I requested back up on Rt. 77.
Wait, before I say more I should explain myself, I'm Andrew Shultz, second officer of Anchorage Police Department. OK, back to the chase.  Two units were close, they said that they would make a road block.

“10-4,” I responded. I was about a mile from the road block and so was the stolen car. As we approached the stop the car slowed down. I should have thought about the pull off on the side of the road. He drove right past the stop. I got on the radio and said
“I’m gonna do a pit”. I sped up tapped the back side of the car and he slid right off the road. There was about 10 other officers behind me.

Once we got the guy in custody we found out he had 5 arrest warrants and was sentenced to 7 years in prison. When I got back to the station I was partnered with Officer Zack Pearsall for the rest of the day. So we went on a back road where people street raced and sped. We hid in a well covered place that is easy to get out of. In the first 10 minutes we saw a car fly by at 110 mph. We chased the car and reached 120 mph. We requested backup on Dover Flats Rd. The closest unit was at least 20 minutes away. So we chased him to Rt.55 and met up with the other units. We agreed over the radio to get air units in. The pilot was my old partner and good friend. When he got to us, the speeder pulled out a gun and started shooting at the helicopter. Then all of a sudden there was a big explosion, thats when the helicopter hit the ground. I radioed in for medical and fire equipment on Rt.55. Once we got in closer we started shooting his tires until they all blew and started grinding. The suspect began to lose control of his car and it was a matter of seconds before he crashed.

After they got the people in custody I went back to the helicopter crash. They had the fire out and were trying to find the officers body. Sadly, they did not find him. They only found his bullet proof vest. When I heard that I called his family. Zack and I headed back to the station to get ready to go home. When we  got back we got sent to the chiefs office. He said to for me to stay on midnight duty and he asked Zack to go get him some honey donuts and a decaf coffee. It was almost my dinner break so I patrolled for about an hour and then hit the diner. I had a great honey ham. On my way out I saw shady character start to run when he saw me. I chased him and he got into a car with another guy and took off. I radioed in for a chase on Diner Rd. I ran to my patrol car and flew out of the diner parking lot. Another officer radioed me and asked if I needed help. I responded 
“ Affirmative”. In about 5 minutes I saw some more flashing flashing lights behind me. After about 10 minutes of chasing them they finally surrendered and we locked them up.

*****

The next day was the funeral of the pilot and a lot of people were there in uniforms. I was so sad to lose a friend in the line of duty but he died doing what he loved most. After the funeral we all went back to normal. I was driving around on patrol and the radio went on and said
“ Shultz car 75 to stabbing in the stomach at 37 Anchorage Rd.” Then I responded
“ 10-4”. I raced to the scene lights and sirens. After about 3 minutes base called in
“ Car 75 what’s your 20”.
(What’s your 20 means where are you) I responded
“Turning on to Anchorage Rd.” When I got to the scene the victim had a three inch cut on his stomach.
“Help me officer I see angels!” the victim screamed.
“ You’re gonna be fine”. Then he said
“I’m gonna die!” Then I said
“You’re not gonna die.” Then his eyes closed
“Sir,sir,sir do you hear me”. Thats when I radioed in
“We have one unconscious”. Then he woke back up and said
“Am I in Heaven”.
“No sir you’re still on earth” I told the victim. Then the medical attention came and took him to the hospital. Then all the other units arrived and found the knive and suspect. He was sent to court and was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

*****
Today is sunday the 15th and I am so tired. Last night I had helped a stabbed guy until midnight. Well I have to go to work.
“I’m here” I said as I walked in the door.
“Good” said the Chief.
“You better head down to 35th Street. There’s a burglary in progress” He said. I ran to my car and jumped in.
“Here goes nothin” I said as I flicked on my strobe lights and pulled out of the parking lot. When I got to the house there was a family of 5 standing outside. I stepped out of my car and said
“How did you get out and where is he”.
“We got out through the bedroom window when we heard him break in” the father replied.
“Ok” I said. Then I went over and radioed in for back up. In 5 minutes three patrol cars pulled in. We went in the room they came out.
“Police department we know you’re in here so come out with your hands up!” Shouted officer Oliver. He had an AK-47 in his hands I had a Glock and the others had M-16’s. I searched the Main floor, Oliver searched the basement, Officer Banister checked the top floor and Dorian checked the attic. Then we smelt smoke and heard gun shots. The house was on fire and the suspect was shooting. He was in the basement hiding. I heard oliver yell and then his Ak-47 shot. Then Oliver yelled.
“I got him” Oliver yelled after he shot the suspect in the arm to get him to surrender.
“Go to my car and say we need fire and medical help, A.S.A.P.” I said out the door. We got the suspect outside and on the ground. Shortly after the fire and medical arrived.

On  my way back I got called to a drug deal in progress. I was about a mile away so I rushed to the scene. Boom, got one with a bag of heroin. The other one took off quick. I called for backup on Main St. one unit was very close. He went after the one with heroin, I went after the runner. The runner stole a bike and I chased him and he crashed into a fence. We got 40 bags of heroin off both of them.

I was at the station when a call came in
“All units respond for a stolen 18 wheeler possible 10-96 on highway 87”. In 5 seconds the police station was empty.
“Suspect is doing a 180 degree turn, All armed air units are to shoot at back tires” came on the radio. I called in for backup on the spike strips and one uint replied, It was officer Pearsall. Then oliver radioed in he would be at the spike strips. Thats when I saw the semi coming right at me. BAM...I got hit by the giant truck. I didn’t remember a thing about the accident or anything except waking up in the hospital with a cast on my arm.

*****
      3 MONTHS LATER

I finally got that cast off and was able to go to work. I bet you’re wondering what happened to the truck driver? Well, I’ll just say the truck exploded when a bullet hit the gas tank. Can you guess what happened? OK, lets get back. So it was my first day back when I pulled someone over. I checked his name on the records and he was clean, so I let him go. I was driving around waiting for a little something to happen when a dispatch went out.
“County 911 all units respond for a stolen car description red Chevy Camaro license plate number is 9*****b last seen on Rt. 78”.
I radioed in “10-4”. I switched on my lights and headed for Rt. 78. When I pulled on to Rt.78. I saw the car fly by. I decided to put the car into BIG TIME CHASE MODE. When I switched over two machine guns, one turbo engine and off road tires came out. I turned on the turbo engine and flew up to the car. Boy was he mad, he slammed right in to me. I spun right off the road. I luckily was able to pull right back onto the road and catch back up. I went for the machine guns but he pulled away. Then he turned on to the interstate and flew into someones backyard. He almost ran into a toddler. Finally more officers caught up to help. It was Hunter in his custom patrol car. It was a 1967 chevy EL camino. It has drag car suspension, And a bugatti engine, a supercharger, turbocharger. This car could catch anything.  He went in for a pit but the car pitted Hunter and he crashed into the town school. We eventually chased him to the airport and he jumped out of the car. He ran up the side stairs and jumped down. He ran to a small plane got in and started to take off. All of the cops were able to get in the airport and get into the helicopters. I had my own with auto-reload 18 shot machine guns and missiles.

We all got in the air and chased him on take off. Some officers stayed on the ground to set up spike strips and a runway block. None of them worked so I tried to shoot the two engines. It did not work one bit. He flew to the side and the bullets hit another helicopter. Ya, shouldnt of done that the helicopter pilot was pretty mad. So we chased him to new york and back and tried everything but it didn’t work. When we got back to anchorage he stole one of those airport karts and got away. He went to the exit and pulled out a revolver. He started shooting the air as a warning. We got officers oliver, pearsall and me. We had officer pearsall as a sniper in case anything went south. Me and oliver were the ground unit I had a m-16 he had an LMG. The guy on the kart started shooting at Hunter and I. Officer Pearsall started to shoot the engine and the kart exploded. Some how the guy managed to bail off the kart. He ran off to another car hot wired it and took off. We chased him to a mobile gas station. He shot a tank and blew the place up. I radioed in for fire and medical help. We kept chasing him when we finally arrived at the port. He got out of the car and ran to a boat and took off on us. Thankfully we had a boat about 200 ft. downstream. A very nice guy let me borrow his jet ski. I flew upstream and caught up when I went in for a jump the guy managed to swerve to the left and I fell into the river. I was flagging people down for help. Finally a yacht helped me. There was a family on the boat that helped me chase after the guy.

We were thankfully able to reach the guy, for some reason the yacht had a harpoon gun. The dad taught me how to use it. I tried to shoot the speed boat. In a split second BOOM! I saw the boat in hundreds of pieces all over the river. There was the guy laying in the river. I found his I.D. Apparently he was in prison for 30 years for a shooting in 1980. The guy was about 73 years old. His name was Michael Jay Horn. He was just unconscious not dead. Apparently that was a game warden boat and a moose tranquilizer dart ended up in his keister.
“Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah,” He whaled out.
“We better get some help out here” I told the family, “Do you guys have duct tape?”
“Yes we do” The father yelled.
“Bring it down” I shouted. When he brought it down helped me tape Mike up. Then we lifted him to the yacht. We rushed back to port got him in my car and I brought him downtown. The way to the station was hard Mike woke up and tried getting out but couldn’t.  At court he was sentenced to 3 years in prison for Resisting arrest, Running away, Property damage, Stolen vehicle, Stolen boat and plane. He also was fined $700,000. When I went back to the station I was thrown a congratulations party. I was told for my brave and heroic acts I was promoted to Deputy Chief and was given $10,000. The chief asked if I wanted to stay and wait for a call but thats when I told him
“I’ll go on patrol I’m sure I’ll find something” So I went to my car and drove off.