Out Of The Storm- Into The Snow Sequel | Teen Ink

Out Of The Storm- Into The Snow Sequel

By ConnorWrites SILVER, Denver, Co, Colorado
ConnorWrites SILVER, Denver, Co, Colorado

"A day without laughing is a day wasted." Charlie Chaplin

Humanity has crumbled, all except the train. There are no more people left, all except the train. There are no more communities, all except the train.

This is what Dominick Skye believed before joining the Snowy Legion. He had almost escaped the confining tunnel that held The Express before, when he had been detected in an abandoned car the train staff were planning to detach. After being caught, he rotted in a cell all the way to the safe house that the rich occupants had been promised a long life at. They'd expected a totally empty, abandoned NORAD bunker, but arrived at something much more horrifying. By the looks of the area, several gangs had tried to take control of the bunker to ride out the winter. As the train pulled into the fort, armed soldiers stopped them. After ordering a total evacuation from the train, they filtered out all young and fit passengers from the old and useless. The young were integrated into the militaristic society, given code names, barracks and squads. Dominick was put into the 576th squad, and given the name Sneaky. Utterly confused and exhausted, he instantly fell asleep on the first real bed he'd seen in years.

“Day one, Sneaky. Come on, you got lots to learn.”
Dominick was shaken awake by a boy in his mid-teens, with black hair combed into an odd haircut and a clear voice. As his vision came into focus, he realized he was surrounded by his entire squad. Standing up, he looked right at the boy and asked “Where am I?”.

Actually, it came out as more of a hoarse croak. These were the first words Dominick had said since boarding the train, and his voice was still in shambles. After clearing his voice, head, and getting laughed at for quite a long time, he finally articulated the question well enough.

The boy grinned and spread his arms wide.
“You, my boy, are now an official member of the Snowy Legion. And now, we begin the grand tour.”

Leaving the barracks, Dominick was suddenly very excited 

“What's your name? What's this place? Why am I here?” Wh...”
The boy laughed. “Slow down, lad! I can answer some, but most things you gotta find out for yourself. I am Elliot, your personal guide. You are a part of the Snowy Legion, the protectors of this bunker. We found you good enough, and here you are.” Elliot grinned slowly. “So now, the tour?”
Dominick mirrored his infectious smile.
“Let's do it.”

Elliot pulled a card out of his shirt pocket and swiped it on the doorframe of the confused newcomer's barracks. The door wooshed open, and Dominick was immediatly overwhelmed by the hive of activity he'd somehow failed to notice the night before. People were rushing around on the ground, each with their own hovering holographic display in front of their faces. Above them, more people standing in small c***pits directly above a thruster engine. Turning to look at Dominick, Elliot made a wide gesture with his left hand. 

"This is the Snowy Legion." 

As soon as he said that, a blaring alarm went off. Panicked, Dominick turned to the older boy. "What does that mean?" He shouted over the noise. 

"We're being attacked!" yelled the other bow before going down in a spray of bullets. 

HEYYYYGUYS! I'm back with another entry into the Winter Chronicles. This one was short, but definetly not sweet. Thanks for reading, and feel free to post any suggestions in the comments! Byee!